Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2014-03-04 01:24 PM
How do I get script to read multiple settings from one file?

Hi guys, I am busy trying to tidy up security in my coding today and while this coding works, its not really what I want.

Basically what this code does is it runs the function setpass which will set the username and password for IE Proxy server settings depending on the user logged on.

My problem is twofold. One I have to create a file for the proxy username and a separate file for the proxy password. The second problem is that I have to create a username file and password file for every proxy user. I currently only have about five proxy users (which will mean ten text files) as active directory groups are using one proxy username per group. For example students get the USA proxy username and staff get the China proxy username.

Is it possible to create ONE text file and have the script read that one file and allocate the username and password based on what active directory group they belong to? I am not sure if you can do that when you are reading normal text files.

The reason why I want the script to read the usernames and passwords from a text file is so that I can have one script that applies to all my clients and the clients have different usernames and passwords on site. The secondary consideration is that I want to ultimately encrypt the text file so that nobody snooping on the network can get the passwords.

Thanks Rob

Code:
;==================================================================================================================
;  IE11 proxy authentication
;==================================================================================================================

setpass ("adminuser.txt", "adminpass.txt")

Code:
;================================================================================================
;  Sets the default proxy username and password for IE for the logged on user
;================================================================================================

Function SetPass($PrintFile1, $PrintFile2)

$Handle = Freefilehandle ()
 if $handle > 0
    if Open ($handle, $ServerName + "\proxies\" + $Printfile1) = 0
    $proxyuser = Readline($handle)
	? $proxyuser
 ;  WHILE @ERROR = 0
        Close($handle)
   ELSE
   BEEP
   ? "Config file not opened, error code: [" + @ERROR + "]"
ENDIF

if $handle > 0
    if Open ($handle, $ServerName + "\proxies\" + $Printfile2) = 0
    $proxypass = Readline($handle)
	 ? $proxypass
 ;  WHILE @ERROR = 0
        Close($handle)
   ELSE
   BEEP
   ? "Config file not opened, error code: [" + @ERROR + "]"
ENDIF

$shellcmd = 'cmdkey /generic: $ProxyServer /user: $proxyuser /pass: + $proxypass'
Shell $ShellCMD

EndFunction

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2014-03-04 02:20 PM
Re: How do I get script to read multiple settings from one file?

You could use an ini file for this and use readprofilestring to get the data

Eaxmple:
 Code:
Break on

$inifile = "pathandfilenamehere"

$groups = "GroupA","GroupB"

For Each $group in $groups
	If InGroup($group)
		$username = ReadProfileString($inifile, $group, @USERID + "username")
		$password = ReadProfileString($inifile, $group, @USERID + "passoword")
		;do more stuff here
	EndIf
Next

Example ini file:
 Quote:

[GroupA]
usera1username=usernamegoeshere
usera1password=passwordgoeshere
usera2username=usernamegoeshere
usera2password=passwordgoeshere
usera3username=usernamegoeshere
usera3password=passwordgoeshere

[GroupB]
userb1username=usernamegoeshere
userb1password=passwordgoeshere
userb2username=usernamegoeshere
userb2password=passwordgoeshere
userb3username=usernamegoeshere
userb3password=passwordgoeshere

The only thing with this that might be an issue is that if a user is a member of GroupA and GroupB the last (GroupB) username and password will be used.

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2014-03-04 03:15 PM

Alternativly:
 Code:
[UserID01]
Creds=password
Proxy=proxy setting
Repeat sections for each user - this is a direct lookup by login user ID, and will return the password and proxy group ID. As for security, search for the "Cipher" UDF and download it from my web site. You can also go directly to my site and click Resources / Miscellenia. The code is tokenized and must be loaded with a CALL statement into your script. You'll need a little script to enumerate the INI file for each user and then encrypt or decrypt the passwords. Thus, you can create the file with clear-text passwords (use .TXT) on your PC and then create a copy with the .INI extension and use the script to encrypt the passwords.

Glenn

Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2014-03-04 04:25 PM

You people are so clever! I never really understood how kixtart uses INI files before, but this is a great example of how to get Kixtart to read very specific data within a file! I will definitely use this concept again. Mart I have used your suggestion as my proxy settings are not linked to any user accounts per se. So I have modified the script accordingly. The shiny new script is here!

Code:
proxyauthenticate ($inifile)

And the function

Code:
;  Sets the default proxy username and password for IE for the logged on user

Function proxyauthenticate ($inifile)

$inifile = $ServerName + "\XXX\proxyauth.ini"

$groups = "Robert", "Is", "Wise", "And", "Wonderful"

For Each $group in $groups
	If InGroup($group)
		$proxyuser = ReadProfileString($inifile, $group, "username")
		$proxypass = ReadProfileString($inifile, $group, "password")
$shellcmd = 'cmdkey /generic: $ProxyServer /user: $proxyuser /pass: + $proxypass'
Shell $ShellCMD		
	EndIf
Next
EndFunction

Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2014-03-04 04:37 PM

I forgot to mention that I am going to use the cypher udf in the very near future. I will do that when I get around to tokenising all my scripts. At the moment I am busy updating and fixing and patching a lot of things.

My next task is to finish completing the conversion of the autoit script that I found to check status of Anti virus. Once I have managed to convert it successfully, I will pop it onto Korg and perhaps you could use the script as a UDF as I am sure that other people would find it useful.

(KiX Supporter)
2014-03-04 06:33 PM

FYI - You don't need to tokenize your script to use the tokenized function. Just call the correct version - 4.53 or 4.6x.

As for your function
  • Why are you passing the $inifile value to the function but defining it in the function? This is not valid.
  • You aren't passing "$ServerName" to the function but are using it in the function. This will fail if Explicit is used (recommended, and required for any KORG published function). Either pass it or define it in the COMMON section of the INI file and read it in the function.
  • Why define the groups as a hard coded array? You should get this from a different section of the INI file - $Groups=ReadProfileString($Ini,'COMMON','Groups') - then it can change without any code mods. You should never really embed data into your scripts like this..
  • You should use an Exit 0 at the end of the function - the zero indicates success. If you have errors reading the file, return with Exit 2 (file not found).
As for Antivirus detection, you should search for the WMIGetAVI() UDF. This uses an external data file to allow a single UDF to detect any AV product and version, as well as return custom attribute pairs. The first 3 values returned are always the same format. No custom coding is needed - just define the AV product parameters and detection methods in the INI file.

Glenn

Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2014-03-04 07:36 PM

1. Are you saying that you don't need to use the syntax
function (argument).
The only reason that I passed the $inifile value was because I needed something to put in the (argument) part of the code. I defined inifile within the function as this time round the location of the inifile will be the same for all clients and logged on users, so I didn't want to define the variable each time in the main scripts. Are you saying that I could just use proxyauthenticate without any arguments in the brackets?
2. Servername is defined at the top of my UDF script as Global. The Servername variable is used throughout my scripts so I have defined it once at the top of the UDF.kix script.
3. I agree with point three. I think that I will rewrite the code so as not to hardcode the array. I need to modify the coding anyway as I don't want the function to write the proxy settings username and password every single login. I would rather the function checked whether the proxy authentication were set or not.
4. Oh yes, I forgot to ask how the readprofilestring works with opening and closing files. I will check that as well. I wasn't sure if it worked the same way as the Readline command.

I want to tokensise all my scripts anyway, not just the file that contains passwords. I have never used the tokenising ability so I don't actually know how it works anyway. I have booked that in to do after I have finished updating the scripts as there are a number of changes that I need to make this week.

I will have a look at that WMIGetAV function now. I didn't notice that one even though I checked the list of functions available. I was probably searching for virus or anti virus rather than AV. Thanks.

(KiX Supporter)
2014-03-04 07:56 PM

1. The argument list of a function is optional.. you can define 0 or more arguments, and define both required or Optional arguments.

2. OK

3. Once you have a config file, use it for everything. I usually have a "COMMON" section for general config settings.

4. Using Read/WriteProfileString handles all open/close operations - you don't need to do anything to use these commands. Because the Open, Read or Write, Close happens for each call, performance on large INI files, and any network based file (especially WAN!!) is mediocre to poor. This can be helped by either caching the content locally, enumerating the entire section with a single read (see EnumINI UDFs); or using my INIArray UDF, which reads the entire INI file into an in-memory array. The latter option helps on large network based files or INI files that exceed the 64KB limit.

You need to search for the WMIGetAV function - it was never published. I've used it internally with some customized/updated INI files, but what's in the Advanced Scripting forum is as current as what I have internally. You will need to review the instructions and update the INI file for the current versions of the AV software you use, but no code changes should be needed.

Glenn

Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2014-03-04 08:08 PM

Oh I am looking at another function called GetAVinfo written by Lonkero. I thought that was the one that you meant as I could not find the one you mentioned. I think the GetAvinfo does the same thing as the WMIGetAV function. I just need to fix the coding with GetAvinfo as I am getting

“Error in expression: this type of array not supported in expressions.

The function I am looking at now is GetAVinfo() - retrieve antivirus product and status information!

(KiX Supporter)
2014-03-05 11:48 AM

You can find WMIGetAVI() here.

I'll cobble a test together today to insure it runs on W7/8.

Glenn

Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2014-03-05 07:10 PM

Well do have a look at the GetAVinfo UDF as well as its very simple coding which is great for people like me. I have determined that the problem is that it was designed for Windows Xp and Vista. I have already started modifying the coding to work on Windows 7 upwards, but I had not had time to finish that yet. But I found that udf to be quite simple so do look at that one as well as I think its quite good. Lonks one just uses securitycenter which is why its shorter.

I will look at both of them but as I am already half way through fixing Lonkero's UDF which co-incidentally enough is the same script as the autoIT script except the AutoIT script includes the coding for windows 7 as well, so it should be a doddle to figure the rest out.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2014-03-05 07:46 PM

let me know if you get a working outcome. I have securitycenter disabled, so can't test on my end without some voodoo.