Alucard_Kakashi
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-01-10 04:18 PM
Command Prompt not showing up - HELP!!!

okay, so i have the kix script running, with no issues. i have bat file that is being called when the user logs into a windows 7 machine, but for some reason the dialog box hides in the taskbar and runs. i don't want that i want the user to see it during logging into the machine. Does anyone know what the issue is?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-01-10 04:29 PM
Re: Command Prompt not showing up - HELP!!!

Establish a GPO with the following policies:
Run Login Script Visible - Enabled (default is minimized)
Run Login Script Synchronously - Enabled (optional/recommended - causes login script to run to completion before the user can launch apps)

Also, for Windows 7/Server 2008, you want to set the DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout registry value to zero, otherwise the scripts run behind the welcome screen, which is displayed for 30 seconds. Google it for more info, but strongly recommended. Most sites recommend a value of 5 (seconds) but I set all systems to 0 without issue - don't need to see the "welcome" page as much as I do the initialization commands/login scripts.

Also - even with these settings, I use a Kix command to set the login script window to "Maximized", which extends it from top to bottom of the screen, not the entire screen.

Glenn

Alucard_Kakashi
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-01-10 04:53 PM

Awesome, but you mention that you use Kix command to set the login script window, which command is that?

Thanks for the help.

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2012-01-10 06:35 PM

See the SetConsole().

Alucard_Kakashi
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-01-10 06:48 PM

Thanks ShaneEP.

But do i have to still do the GPO policy if i have my kix scripts in the domain controller under the NETLOGON folder?

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2012-01-10 07:27 PM

The SetConsole() function only changes the way the console is displayed, for the other options that Glenn mentioned above (synchronicity) then the GPO is necessary.

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-01-10 07:37 PM

Where you put your scripts has no bearing on how they are displayed. You are running a "legacy" login script as opposed to a GPO login script. My personal preference is Legacy, if that matters. ;\) The GPO settings I mention simply affect how a legacy script is run.

From testing, the SetConsole function may not be able to override the system policy to run minimized, so you need to set the policy to allow the window to be visible on all platforms.

Glenn

Alucard_Kakashi
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-01-11 06:13 PM

Awesome, but for the GPO? do you do it on a computer level or a user configuration level?