baggies1
(Fresh Scripter)
2010-05-13 06:38 PM
creating home drives

hi folks,

i have sucessfully used kixstart to map my network drives and appears to work well.

i have a selection of users who have home drive and some that dont.

I want to apply a group policy accross the board to give everyone a home drive.

What i would like my group policy login script to be able to do is

1. create the folder in the home drive area if one doesnt already exist
2. give share and secuirty permissions

on part two i may be asking too much but there you go.

any help guidance always appreciated. \:D

Björn
(Korg Regular)
2010-05-13 10:51 PM
Re: creating home drives

Welcome!

The way I see it - there's a 'better' way to do the creation: admin-wise.
create a script that polls the AD for homedrive-settings (to reveal the ones that's missing it, and then create the folders in question that's missing - and last applying/setting the appropriate attribute to the object/user.

Surely you could do this under the computer-account (logon-script), but doing it during user-context (login) seems like a bad idea, since the user then needs the rights to create, making it possible for users to later create and hold other content on the resource planned to only hold homedrives...

cjutting
(Fresh Scripter)
2010-05-16 06:18 PM

I agree as well. This would be better served with a couple of scripts.

We are going through this right now to give everyone a home directory, but we are using VB to do all of the steps.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2010-05-16 07:22 PM

I've never tried this but Glenn says in a past post...

Quote:

If you create a share - \\server\users - for example, you grant that folder "Admins - Full Control", nothing else.

When you create users in ADU&C, you specify "\\server\users\%USERNAME%" as their home directory. The AD tool will create the folder and assign the user full-control rights on the folder that is created.

There's no need to script any of this..

Glenn

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2010-05-17 11:50 AM

Just did this last week for a client during an AD Remediation project..

Created the home share, opened the AD Users & Computers app, then selected all of the users in a given OU. Right-click one of the selected users and choose "Properties". Went to the Profile tab, enabled the Login Script and Home Path checkboxes and entered the appropriate data. Total time to define/create the home folders with proper security for 45 users was, well, so fast it was unmeasurable. Certainly less than two minutes to create the share, launch the tool, and perform the steps.

Did the same thing to update the user's address and contact data in a later step.

Glenn