**DONOTDELETE**
(Lurker)
2001-07-26 04:44 PM
For NT gurus

This is off the subject of kix. Does anybody know what utility or command line in NT for checking how many times a server or wrkstn has been rebooted. just like the "uptime" for how long it's been up.
Thanks...

**DONOTDELETE**
(Lurker)
2001-07-30 10:47 AM
Re: For NT gurus

If you've got NT 4 you can check the event log for event ID 6009. This is written when windows is started

[ 30 July 2001: Message edited by: chris_bol ]

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2001-07-30 03:42 PM

Look at SRVINFO.EXE from the Resource Kit..

I also responded to a similar request of you in the other forum - http://kixtart.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002017 .

HTH,

- Kent

**DONOTDELETE**
(Lurker)
2001-07-30 05:25 PM

Thanks Chris and Kdyer, unfortunately srvinfo.exe does give me some good info. but not the # of times the server or machine has been rebooted. Any more ideas will be appreciated. I am uptimistic there is a command, it will be nice to find it.
Thanks a lot...

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2001-07-30 08:14 PM

The number of times that a NT/W2k computer has been rebooted is kept in the event log.

there is a NT resource kit tool, i think it is "dumpel.exe" (i am at home and do not have access to a my utilities at work )

You should be able to just pull the reboot information from the event log using that tool.

Bryce

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2001-07-30 08:50 PM

So, the AUTOEXNT service does not do it for you? It can write to a log file for evaluation.

Hmm..

- Kent

Les
(KiX Master)
2001-07-30 10:11 PM

NTJazzed,
I think you're over optimistic such a utility exists. I was optimistic once, but I new it was in vain.
If you want a count of reboots, you need either to log every reboot with something like AutoexNT.exe or else count the 6005 events with Dumpel.exe and hope the event log hasn't been cleared.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Lurker)
2001-07-30 11:23 PM

Again, I would like to say thank you all for being so resourceful. I used the dumpel.exe suggested by byrce and extracted the event id 6005 and 6009 count. The count was exact on both event id's. I was overwhelmed like archimedes, Eureka! This is the reason I can never do anything else except IT. It's adventurous...especially with Kix gurus like you,I am over the moon with resource. Thanks to you all !!
-DoUntil "keep doing until you get it"

[ 30 July 2001: Message edited by: Ntjazzed ]

Les
(KiX Master)
2001-08-12 07:02 AM

Update
I spoke too soon. Just had a look at the UPTIME.EXE from the Win2K RK and turns out it will count reboots if you use the /S switch.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Lurker)
2001-08-13 03:59 PM

Thanks Les, I will check it out. This will be the most easiest way to find out instead of the process I used earlier.
Thanks again.

Mordac85
(Fresh Scripter)
2001-08-14 10:35 PM

Remember, UPTIME still pulls its info from the event log so if it's set to purge or overwrite it will not provide you with accurate data.

MCA
(KiX Supporter)
2001-10-23 07:57 AM

Dear,

We use our tool log.com, which will create one output line to
a logfile after a reboot.
As RUN entry in the HKLM hive we are using:
c:\log.com -reboot-
You only need to count the number of lines in the c:\ndos.log file
with the -reboot- comment to get the right value.
See topic:
http://kixtart.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001360
for more information about this tool.
Greetings.