selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-28 04:46 PM
ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY??

OK so finally i got a script written. what i will be doing is put it into a GPO and then when th user logon it automathically runs itself with no user prompt; essentially i want it to be in passive mode, and i need it to reboot after the script too..... When i debug this scrip it gives me an 'Invalid function call error" Please help me......

Break off

If Exist ("C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation") = 0

MessageBox ("Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled")

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe-y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation" >NUL 2>NUL /passive'

Sleep 6

Else

? "Error Code = " @Error " Error Details = " @Serror

EndIf

Gargoyle
(MM club member)
2007-01-28 05:12 PM
Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY??

Code:
$rc = messagebox("Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled","Uninstall",0,48,6)

From the manual

MESSAGEBOX
Action

Displays a standard dialog box in Windows.

Syntax

MESSAGEBOX ("message", "title", style, time-out)

Parameters

The message to display in the dialog box.

Title

The title of the dialog box.

Style

Optional numeric expression that is the sum of values specifying the number and type of buttons to display, the icon style to use, the identity of the default button, and the modality. The following table illustrates the values used and the meaning of each group of values.

Buttons to display

Value
Meaning

Display OK button only.

Display OK and Cancel buttons.

Display Abort, Retry, and Ignore buttons.

Display Yes, No, and Cancel buttons.

Display Yes and No buttons.

Display Retry and Cancel buttons.

Icon to display

Value
Meaning

Stop symbol

Question mark

Exclamation mark

Information symbol

Default button

Value
Meaning

First button is default.

Second button is default.

Third button is default.

Modality

Value
Meaning

Application-modal. The user must respond to the message box before continuing work in the application.

System-modal. All applications are suspended until the user responds to the message box.

When adding numbers to create a final value for the argument type, use only one number from each group. If style is omitted, a default value of 0 is assumed.

Time-out

Optional numeric expression representing the number of seconds after which to close the dialog box.

Note

The time-out feature only works if the MESSAGEBOX dialog box is the active window for the duration of the time-out. If the user switches away from KiXtart and activates another application, the MESSAGEBOX dialog box is not closed.

Remarks

MESSAGEBOX displays a maximum of 1024 characters in application-modal dialog boxes. Longer messages are truncated after the 1024th character. Message strings longer than 255 characters with no intervening spaces are truncated after the 255th character. For system-modal dialog boxes, the number of characters you can display depends on screen resolution and number of lines in the message.

MESSAGEBOX breaks lines automatically at the right edge of the dialog box. If you want to set line breaks yourself, place a linefeed (ANSI character 10) before the first character of the text that is to begin each new line.

Returns

The value returned by MESSAGEBOX indicates which button was selected, as shown in the following table.

Value
Meaning

User did not respond to the dialog box within the specified time-out period.

OK button selected.

Cancel button selected.

Abort button selected.

Retry button selected.

Ignore button selected.

Yes button selected.

No button selected.

If the dialog box contains a Cancel button, pressing esc has the same effect as choosing Cancel.

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-28 05:42 PM

Please DON'T SHOUT in the title!

This line is wrong:
Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe-y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation" >NUL 2>NUL /passive'

You cannot redirect without the command interpreter. There is a FAQ on that.
There should be a space between .exe and -y
The /passive switch should be before the failed redirects.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-28 06:01 PM

I did the recommended changes but it still returns the same error...please help, anyone........

Break off

If Exist ("C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation") = 0

$rc = MessageBox("Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled","ESI INTL",0)

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f "C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation" /passive'

Sleep 6

Else

EndIf

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-28 06:28 PM

Your Exist() logic is backwards.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-28 06:58 PM

so how would you reqrite the Exist logic?

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2007-01-28 07:28 PM

What version of kix are you running?

@kix

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-28 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: selormquarshie
so how would you reqrite the Exist logic?
Like I said, it is backwards. You need to equate it to a 1, not a 0.

There is nothing in your latest posted code that should throw an error, so if you are getting an error, then you are not showing us all the code.

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2007-01-28 08:57 PM

Quote:
automathically runs itself with no user prompt; essentially i want it to be in passive mode, and i need it to reboot

You want no user prompt and but use a MESSAGEBOX() function, you want it to reboot but don't incldue a SHUTDOWN command.

Also, do your users have local admin right? The uninstall will most likely require those.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-28 09:15 PM

ok here's what i got now...however when i debug ..it jumps the MESSAGEBOX () and it does not show the SHELL command. Yes all my users have local admin rights...using kix 4.51. please any suggestions are welcome...my deadline is noon tomorrow....please help...

Code:
Break off 

If Exist ("C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation") = 1
  $rc = MessageBox("Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled","ESI INT'L", 10, 0, 1)
  Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f "C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation" /passive'
  Sleep 6
Else
EndIf 
$rc = Shutdown("", "System is being rebooted to enable new settings.", 30, 0, 1)

[edit: code tags added by Allen.]

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2007-01-28 09:30 PM

As you have it now, it looks like the shutdown will be a continuous loop... everyone will be effected by it to... also please place your code in between the code tags (# on the post bar).

Might you give this a try
(untested)
Code:
$programpath="C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\"
If Exist($programpath)
  $rc = MessageBox("Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled","ESI INT'L", 10, 0, 1)
  Sleep 6
  $rc = Shutdown("", "System is being rebooted to enable new settings.", 30, 0, 1)
Else
  ? $programpath + " Does not Exist"
EndIf 

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-28 09:32 PM

If it skips past, then you must not have a folder called "Relation" under the subfolder "Pivotal" in "C:\Program Files".

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-28 09:43 PM

Moderator, your sample code jumps from the Exist command straight to the ? $programpath + " Does not Exist" line when i attempt to debug it...i guess it should go thru all required steps in debug mode but it's not happening here....i appreciate all your help so please keep them coming....

If Exist($programpath)
Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation" /passive' Sleep 6
Else
EndIf

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2007-01-28 10:47 PM

I think relation is not a folder but a file without extension...

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-28 10:52 PM

i'm testing at home b4 i deploy on the network tomorrow at work, so i did a sample on my machine but it's still not taking....

$programpath="C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\"
If Exist($programpath)
Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f "C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX" ' Sleep 6

Else
EndIf

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-28 11:25 PM

Moderator, your sample code jumps from the Exist command straight to the ? $programpath + " Does not Exist" line when i attempt to debug it...
Obviously then, the folder does not exist as I already said.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-28 11:37 PM

YOu are right..however i gave the code a different input, it should look for maromedia\DreamweaverMX\and delete it o nmy local compuater at home but it wont run that.....am i doing anything wrong. i have Dreamweaver on my pc here.....

$programpath="C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\"
If Exist($programpath)
Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f "C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX" ' Sleep 6

Else
EndIf

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-28 11:50 PM

So, what happens when you run it? Do you get $programpath + " Does not Exist"?
The Shell line may not be valid for DreamWeaver.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-29 02:54 AM

Should it matter if i am just debugging the code....i thought it will go thru the whole process in debug mode??

Break Off

If Exist($programpath)

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" /passive'
Sleep 6

Else
? $programpath + "Does not Exist"
EndIf

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-29 03:21 AM

Why would you need to run such a small snippet of code in debug? Maybe you are hitting the wrong keys.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-29 03:27 AM

....to make sure the desired output will be gained when i deploy it......please any help will be huge

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-29 04:04 AM

It seems somewhat unnecessary to run in debug mode given that you popup a MessageBox() on Exist() and $programpath + "Does not Exist" on failure.

If you DON'T get the MessageBox() and you DO get $programpath + "Does not Exist", then obviously the folder does NOT Exist(). That is where you need to look.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-29 08:26 AM

Quote:
shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation" /passive' Sleep 6

You should not call C:\WINDOWS as a hard coded path. This can lead to failure on some systems which might have Windows installed in another folder such as WINNT or another and possibly even on another drive.

According to Microsoft documentation %SystemRoot% is the preferred method of locating the installation folder however in practice it does not appear that anyone is following that directive from what I see. In either case

%SystemRoot% or %WINDIR% should return the installation location of Windows.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 02:43 AM

here's my latest code for the software removal...any ommissions or additions or ideas to tune this up will be appreciated........

Break Off
$programpath="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"

If Exist($programpath) = 0

Shell '%systemroot%\system32\uninst.exe -y -f"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"
" /passive'
Sleep 6

Else
EndIf

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 03:24 AM

You cannot use Exist($programpath) that points to the registry.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 03:28 AM

I do have a laptop with Relationship installed yet still when i run the code it doesn't uninstall it......please anyone help....

$programpath= "C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation"

MessageBox ("", "Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled","ESI INT'L", 10, 0, 1)

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\MsiExec.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation" '

Sleep 6

Else
EndIf

Else
EndIf

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 03:33 AM

-f"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"
is not a valid switch.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 03:40 AM

I do have a laptop with Relationship installed yet still when i run the code it doesn't uninstall it......please anyone help....

MessageBox ("", "Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled","ESI INT'L", 10, 0, 1)

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\MsiExec.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation" '

Sleep 6

Else
EndIf

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 03:43 AM

If Exist() = 0

Means IF NOT EXIST!

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 03:45 AM

here are my changes......but i'm buffled by this code..it still wont output right.....i need to submit this tomorrrow....please help...

If Exist($programpath) = 1

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" '

$rc = Shutdown("", "System is being rebooted to enable new settings.", 300, 0, 1)

Sleep 6

Else
EndIf

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 05:28 AM

How can one help you if you don't heed any advice?

You should test the code step-by-step.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 06:04 AM

ok here i come again....i figured that C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation is a folder not a file. i may be wrong or right...however if this isn't the right file, what command do i use to locate a FOLDER instead of a file?? i realize the EXIST command is to locate a file not folder........ any help??

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 06:12 AM

So, what is it? Is it a fodler or file? It's yoru system, you should be able to determine what it is. EXIST can check for both the existance of a folder and/or file.

Code:
? 'KiXtart v'+@kix
$folder='C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation'
select
case exist($folder+'\')
  ? $folder + 'is a folder and exists'
case exist($folder)
  ? $fodler + ' is a file and exists'
case 1
  ? 'Cannot find a file or folder by name f ' + $folder
endselect

Please run this codefragment and report the results.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 06:25 AM

yea it read " c:\program files\pivotal\relation is a folder and exists

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 06:38 AM

Is this an application for CRM from here: http://www.pivotal.com/products/

If so which one?

What version of KiXtart are you using?

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 06:41 AM

yes it's from there and the program is Relationship. kix version 4.51

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 06:46 AM

Why do you keep changing from UNINSTAL to MSIEXEC ?

If you look on a client and at the uninstall string you need the EXACT string they supply.

Please provide that here.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 06:46 AM

when i run the script by Sealeopard is confirms the existence of the folder however when i run the following code it doesn't remove it. rather it jumps from the MESSAGEBOX to the DOES NOT EXIT line.....weird..

Break off

If Exist($programpath) = 1

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"'

$rc = Shutdown("", "System is being rebooted to enable new settings.", 300, 0, 1)

Sleep 6

Else
EndIf

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 06:48 AM

this is the exact script i found for the uninstall......

C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relations\DeIsL1.isu

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 07:07 AM

Please use CODE TAGS when posting to preserve the formatting.

I did not ask for the script you found, though if you found that one a link to where you found it would be good.

Please copy this into a clean new script and run it like this from a workstation that has it installed and report back exactly what it returns.

KIX32.EXE RemoveRelation.kix

Code:
Dim $Msg, $Pause
If Exist('C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\relation.exe')
  $Msg = MessageBox('Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled','ESI International',4160,10)
  ;I'm guessing this line is correct as I don't know and I don't have the program to test
  Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" '
  'Error: ' + @ERROR + ' - ' + @SERROR ?
  'Press any key to continue ' ?
  Get $Pause
  ;This will FORCE all applications closed without saving data within 90 seconds
  $RC = Shutdown("","System is being rebooted to enable new settings.", 90, 1, 1)
  ;No need for a sleep command
Else
  ;You would not want this to show though on every logon
  'The eRelation program was not found on this system ' ?
EndIf

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 07:08 AM

The actual uninstall should be found somewhere here in the Registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 07:20 AM

oh my!!! you saved the day dude.... it did run fine after tweaking it a bit...but you pretty much wrote the whole code...i'm howeever wondering that it kept bringing up prompts to say yes to all and press ok at one point...how to i supress those so it goes thru automathically?? any idea.....

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 07:22 AM

Unless the Pivotal company provides those "silent" switches for you then it's not going to be able to be removed silently.

At that point you would have to write you own removal script that deleted everything.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 07:27 AM

You could try SENDKEYS but I'm sure that would meet with mixed results.

There is also a program called AUTOIT that might be able to help assist in pressing the right keys for you in an automated script. Search Google for it.

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 03:07 PM

It looks like the software is using InstallShield which does support recording your own silent install. I would think if you can create a silent install, a siltent uninstall should be possible. OTOH, there may already be a silent switch available.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 07:56 PM

Ok fellas i'm back....everything seems to be working fine except that i'm unable to get a silent uninstall.....and ur arugment that inf silent install is possible then the converse should also hold true, is smoething i buy into.......any help before i submit it by 5pm today will be more than appreciated..........

Break Off

Dim $Msg, $Pause

If Exist('C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation')

$Msg = MessageBox('Please wait while Relationship is uninstalled','ESI International',4160,5)

;This command line uninstalls Relationship from user computer.

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" >NULL 2>NULL'

'Error: ' + @ERROR + ' - ' + @SERROR ?

'Press any key to continue /s ' ?

Get $Pause

;This command line will FORCE all applications closed without saving data within 90 seconds

$RC = Shutdown("","System is being rebooted to enable new settings.", 90, 1, 1)

Else
'The Relationship program was not found on this system ' ?
EndIf

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 09:38 PM

Well certainly not the code I gave you but if it works for you okay.

Please contact the Pivot support group and ask them for the uninstall silent switch.

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 10:26 PM

and as I said before, you cannot redirect without the command interpreter.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-30 10:37 PM

Les so what then will be the command interpreter cause i'm not sure i get what you saying? any help....

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-30 11:21 PM

Code:
Shell '%comspec% /c C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" >NULL 2>NULL'

The command interpreter i.e. CMD.EXE found by %comspec%

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-31 12:21 AM

so NTDOC, i take it the '%comspec% /c line will give it that quiet uninstall mode, correct?

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-01-31 12:35 AM

%comspec% is the environment variable pointing to the command interpreter
/c is a switch indicating the command interpreter has to quit after running the command
You need it to make the redirect work (> NUL 2>NUL)
I think if you want a silent uninstall, maybe you will have to look for a switch for uninst.exe

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-01-31 01:33 AM

so NTDOC, i take it the '%comspec% /c line will give it that quiet uninstall mode, correct?

No it will not be silent with that. It is only to redirect output to nothing, however the uninstaller will probably still popup a Window to complain as it's not console/DOS based.

You really have to either contact PIVOT and ask them for the switch or scour the Internet with Google or some other search engine to find a possible solution.

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-31 01:39 AM

A DOS redirect to NUL of a GUI program will not magically make it silent.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-31 03:40 AM

ok..so i worked on this SHELL line here with -r/-s but i'm not sure if it will give me a silent uninstall......i'm still at work finishing hard......any idea.....

Shell '%comspec% /c /-r/-s C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" >NULL 2>NULL'

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2007-01-31 05:32 AM

This will not give you a silent uninstall. You need to contact the vendor to find out what the correct call to their uninstall routine is to perform the silent uninstall. Just reidrecting console output to NULL doesn't affect the uninstall process.

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-01-31 06:36 AM

I have the impression you want to try -s or -r as silencers. Put it as argument behind uninst.exe

Shell '%comspec% /c C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -s -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" >NUL 2>NUL'

No warranty it will work. Like Doc said, I think you best verify with the software vendors.

Oh yes
> NUL
redirects to "nothing"
> NULL
redirects to a file named NULL

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-01-31 04:32 PM

I thought the -r switch was to record an answer file to be played back later. IMHO -r is not something you would use in a SHELL line.

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2007-01-31 05:48 PM

hahahahahahahahahhaha

That is funny

1st thing: silent command line is different than a 'silent' switch on an install/uninstall app

2nd thing: to determine what switches you need on your uninstall, you will need to determine what version of installShield is running it

Odds are because of your newness to this, you will have the most annoying version that will require you to record a manual uninstall and then deploy that *.isu/*.iss file to play a truely silent uninstall.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-01-31 11:53 PM

Radimus, so essentially what are you saying here......i'm not sure what version of installshield i have ....however when u look at this SHELL code.....what would you use....the company is not being cooperative at all.....

Shell '%comspec% /c C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -s -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" >NUL 2>NUL'

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-02-01 12:20 AM

Get rid of %COMSPEC% and the Nul stuff as it does nothing for you.

If the uninstaller supports silent switches it will be silent.

Code:
Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"

Though I can pretty much tell you that it isn't going to work that way.

Just sit there at the command line in a DOS prompt and type in those commands to see if you can get it to uninstall silently or not.

uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu
uninst.exe -s -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu
uninst.exe /y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu
uninst.exe /s -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu

etc... if you can't find a combination that works then KiX can't do it either.

This software, can it be mailed or downloaded and installed as a test? I'm sure it can be removed by brute force as well but one needs to know what all it installs and where first.

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2007-02-01 12:27 AM

for an uninstall, your command will look something like:

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -a -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" '

The -a option might help... or might not.

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q100021

But ultimately it is based on the version of the installshield app that packaed it.

So.. SOME APPS DO NOT HAVE A SILENT UNINSTALL and there is little that can be done short of a brute force removal, del the reg keys, the folder , the shortcuts... not all apps are created equal

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-01 07:08 PM

I'm wondering..if i want a silent install.......do i need to include this line in the code then.....

'Press any key to continue ' ?

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2007-02-01 09:02 PM

not usually.. it depends on the ininstaller. If it kicks off a second process that does the uninstall

try it and see it it applies to this one.

But usually it isn't necessary

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-01 10:41 PM

i'm wondering if i put " /qb- /i" after the unbinst.exe if it will make it a silent uninstall without any prompts to the user??

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-02-01 11:05 PM

Wonder no more. Try it and see.

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2007-02-01 11:05 PM

OK... This is the last time.

What makes you think the " /qb- /i" will do anything? those are the switches for msiexec, not the switches for installshield's uninst.exe.

So completely ignore all the information that was given to you by people that have done this for years and continue to throw random switches on the command and see what happens.

In fact you aren't even trying them, you are asking us if it ok to try them.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-02 04:03 AM

fellows, i ve tried all those suggestion at the DOS prompt and there's still no silence unisntall..howver Radimus did mention suing "brute force removal, del the reg keys, the folder , the shortcuts". i really don't mind doing that so any suggestions to get rid of all with no traces at all even, as long as it's a silent uinstall.....

Björn
(Korg Regular)
2007-02-02 05:08 PM

Erhm.... dude, just work your way thro what switch is the right one to throw with the uninstall-string. And mind, do it on a computer with the program in question, that way you KNOW if it works or not. You got the link a few lines above to the different switches.
edit: just read that you did test it, but alas - didn't work. I must say that you missed something then.

edit: You might wanna check this out as well:

Code:
Discussion

There are two ways in which a silent uninstall can be performed.

Using a Response File

To run an uninstallation using a response file:

1. Prepare a response file for the uninstallation (.iss) by running Setup.exe with the /r argument:

Setup.exe /r
   2. Locate the Setup.iss file generated in the Windows folder and copy it to the desired location.

3. Type the following at the command line (items in Italics represent data that is specific to your product's uninstallation):

IDriver.exe /M{Your Product GUID} /s /f1"<FULLY qualified path>\YourResponseFile.iss"

Note: The /f1 parameter is necessary only if the Setup.iss file is located in a directory other than in the same location as Setup.exe.

Simple Uninstallation

If you do not want to follow the script logic and want to uninstall the product, you can use the following command line:

IDriver.exe /M{Your Product GUID} /uninst

The /uninst parameter causes a forced uninstallation without opening the script. It rolls back the system changes made during the installation, including those from the MSI package and any InstallShield scripting.

Note: For both of these uninstallation options, the /M argument is case sensitive.

Note: By default, the file "IDriver.exe" is located in the following path:

<ProgramFiles>\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\<Version>\Intel 32.

link - http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q106685

NOTE: above is more or less only valid depending on your installation, the other and previous link might still be the better and working choice. Welcome to the world of installshield.....

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-02 10:40 PM

Bjorn i am not sur about the GUID line cause what if all the computers running the porgram have different GUID as is recommeded in this line..... and are you saying if i put this line in there the uninstall should be silent.....

IDriver.exe /M{Your Product GUID} /uninst

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-02-02 11:16 PM

I presume the GUID Björn is talking about is the programs GUID. Maybe you can find it in the registry under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-02 11:20 PM

Witto that's the case....however, the GUID may vary from pc to pc.......right??

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-02-02 11:41 PM

IMHO, no. Or do you have different versions of the program?
Maybe just take a look at some of your computers?

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-04 03:12 PM

Good day fellows.....it's me again.....i've tried everything under the sun but the uninstall still prompts users to anser yes or no at prompt before it uninstalls. however i did find the particular file it's asking users to answer YES to. I am wondering if there's a way to(maybe a command line or script) silently or automathically say yes to this file........

LMSYNC.DLL

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2007-02-04 04:56 PM

No, there is not. This is a safegiuard by Windows ot prevent DLLs to be deleted that could potentially still be in use by other applications.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-04 10:55 PM

i've tried all these switches for silent uninstall but without success.... anh other wild guesses would be more than appreciated.....

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"

"/q"
"/qb-"
"/s"
"-a"
"-s"
"-y"

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-02-04 11:34 PM

Did you try to record an answer file and then play it back?

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-04 11:45 PM

LES...NO I DIND'T CAUSE I'M NOT SURE HOW TO DO THAT??

Les
(KiX Master)
2007-02-04 11:48 PM

I've told you before not to SHOUT!

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-02-05 12:01 AM

Radimus gave a link to the installshield support site. There I read:
 Quote:

-d
Identifies a single file that is to be deleted. The display of user interface elements is the same as when the -a switch is used. The syntax is as follows:
-dC:\Temp\filename.ext.

Could that help you?

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-05 12:08 AM

well...how would i implement "-dC:\Temp\imsync.dll" and all other .DLL files i'm being prompted INTO the uninstall command "Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-02-05 12:24 AM

In your answer you only spoke about LMSYNC.DLL, and I presume it is not located in the C:\Temp\ folder as you are typing.

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-02-05 12:30 AM

Björn has given an answer how to create a response file, so maybe look for that answer.

selormquarshie
(Getting the hang of it)
2007-02-05 02:01 AM

It's not only the IMSYNC.DLL, there are about eleven .DLL files....here they are....

IMSYNC.DLL
ISYMPS.DLL
NSERVERCA.DLL
NSERVERCPS.DLL
RN1CDATA.DLL
RN1COLON.DLL
RN1DOBJ.DLL
RSMFORMOUTLOOK.DLL
ISYNCPS.DLL

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-02-05 04:46 AM

Hello selormquarshie I'm not sure how much more anyone can help you here. You seem to ignore much of the advice given.

Google, Yahoo, MSN all have excellent search engines to help locate further information as well.

I'm thinking though that if your Company could afford the product in the first place then you probably have other IT support on staff do you not?

I'm not wanting to sound mean but you do not appear to have much in the way of basic skills for this type of support and perhaps someone else on your Team might have more experience and or could assist you further.

If this was a learning experiece it might not be so bad but you say it is a project and is now apparently overdue so I would assume this avenue of support is not fast enough to help you.

The advice given to you is nothing new as most of us have been doing this for many years so we all know how to do it but you seem to either ignore the advice or if not then you don't properly report back what was asked of you.

Please start from the FIRST post and read through ALL of them and you will find your answer which is IT CAN NOT BE SILENTLY REMOVED without you manually removing it. Though I'm sure you don't have the experience to do so and without one of us having the program installed we can't really help you either.

Bottom line is you need to install it on a client that has never had it installed and use a program to watch what gets added, then write a script that goes through and removes the files and registry entries for you silently. If you know all the files and registry entries we can probably assist you in how to then remove it but not until you know that information.