LJG
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-06-15 09:23 PM
changing computer names

I am new to kixtart. and i am trying to find a way to rename computers in a workgroup after i have imaged them. Was hoping someone might have a idea as to how or if there is a command line utility i can use to do this.

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-06-15 09:32 PM
Re: changing computer names

Been discussed here often. Search for NETDOM5.

LJG
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-06-15 10:47 PM

problem i am having with netdom is that it my computers are not part of a domain and dont need to be. i keep getting a failure because computers are not part of a domain. is there a way around this that i dont know of.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2005-06-15 10:58 PM

Well haven't looked at NETDOM in years now myself, but if I recall you would just use the Workgroup name that they currently have.

Read the documentation that comes with it and it should explain further.

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2005-06-19 07:35 PM

Use SYSPREP for imaging as it will allow you to run a mini-setup to e.g. change the computer name.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2005-06-19 10:12 PM

DOH!! Good catch Jens

Quote:

after i have imaged them

Totally missed that. If you're not using SYSPREP then you're missing a major part of imaging properly.

pvds
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2005-06-19 10:31 PM

You can use newsit from sysinternals

I prefer sysprep when you delete the computername from the file windows wil ask you to give one.

GSUK
(Starting to like KiXtart)
2005-06-21 01:05 PM

I use CompName.exe It's a bit of freeware and works very well. You can download it from http://www.willowhayes.co.uk/download/compname-special/compname.exe

FTPMonster
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-06-28 09:21 PM

Oddity:
If I run COMPNAME from the command line it works fine. If I run it from within kixtart (with both a RUN and a SHELL command) it says it'll change on reboot but it never does.
I will admit, this is in Virtual PC, but it' shouldn't affect it, especially since running on a standard command line works fine.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-06-28 09:34 PM

so, how do you call it with kix?

FTPMonster
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-06-28 10:09 PM

note: $NewPCName was previously defined, and is currently WKSTN99.
$cmdline = "C:\COMPNAME /C "+$newPCName
RUN $cmdline