howartp
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-04-26 12:28 PM
win2k startup scripts (not working from //server/netlogon)

Hi,

I'm trying to get our w2k workstations to run a startup script in kix.

I've made the script, put it in //server/netlogon and it works if I run kix32.exe from our software storage folder (where we store and unzip downloads - //server/software/kix2001/kix32.exe). The command i'm running is

Code:
//server/software/kix2001/kix32.exe //server/netlogon/startupscript.kix

However, if I try and run it from //server/netlogon or //server/sysvol/domain/scripts, i get an error:

Code:
ERROR:  Failed to find/open script!
Script: \\server\NETLOGON\startupscript.kix

I know the script exists and works, because as I mentioned, it runs when called from the software folder. Because (presumably) of this error, the script isn't running on startup when applied to GP/Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/ScriptsStartup.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Howarth.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2005-04-26 02:18 PM
Re: win2k startup scripts (not working from //server/netlogon)

uhm.. using the wrong slash?

\\server\software\kix2001\kix32.exe \\server\netlogon\startupscript.kix

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2005-04-26 03:02 PM

You may want to read the following article..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318689

BTW, Welcome to the board!

Kent

howartp
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-04-26 04:09 PM

Hi.

Unfortunately that page applies to winXP Pro, but we're running 2k as I mentioned.

Peter.

howartp
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-04-26 04:11 PM

Hi Bryce,

I thought you might have had it there, but I actually typed the wrong slash into the post - it can't even find kix32.exe if I type them the wrong way round.

Thanks anyway,

Any more ideas?

Peter.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2005-04-26 04:36 PM

why do you not have the kix32.exe in the netlogon share?

howartp
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-04-26 04:59 PM

Hi Bryce,

That's the whole problem - if I do run it from the netlogon share, it can't find the script. If I run it from elsewhere (the software folder) it does work.

Peter.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2005-04-26 04:59 PM

Peter,

Quote:

Unfortunately that page applies to winXP Pro, but we're running 2k as I mentioned.

Please read further.. Yes, the article starts with Windows XP, but also covers Win9x, 2000, NT, etc.

Kent

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2005-04-26 07:28 PM

Kent - that applies to using a batch file for the call which was not shown here.

\\domain\netlogon\wkix32.exe \\server\share\kixscript.kix

Should work just fine as long as the SHARE and FILE permissions are set correctly for the user.

If your domain is setup properly then the NETLOGON share is already a known environment for the computer and this should work in the users profile setting.

WKIX32.EXE \\server\share\kixscript.kix

If you have folder structures underneath the NETLOGON then something like this should also work.

OU\WKIX32.EXE \\server\share\kixscript.kix
Or
OU\WKIX32.EXE OU\kixscript.kix

Give some of these examples a try and let us know how it goes please.

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-04-26 08:07 PM

Quote:

Should work just fine as long as the SHARE and FILE permissions are set correctly for the user

That's just it. What user? GPO Startup scripts run under local creds. I think NetLogon has some "special" access but with other shares YMMV. This has been discussed before.

howartp
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-04-27 11:45 AM

Hi ntdoc,

I've just tried those commands you gave me.

The "kix32 startupscript" command doesn't work on any machine.

The "\\server\netlogon\kix32 startupscript" command works on two of the machines, which are in my netadmin office (seperate OU from rest of network, with little or no policy restrictions) but it doesn't work in the rest of the network - it gives the script not found error as above.

[Edit: It doesn't help by specifying the explicit location or extension of the script]

Next question...?

Cheers

Peter

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2005-04-27 03:00 PM

Quote:

Next question...?

Uhh.. Peter - You are the one having the problem.. Anyway, we have provided you number of suggestions and you should be able to get through this.

Try this from a command-line:
%LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\KIX32.EXE %LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\YOURSCRIPT.KIX

If that works, then start breaking it down as to how to get this to work.

We still have a number of 2000 systems on the floor and we use in Active Directory the following instead of NTLOGON or NTLOGON.BAT:
wkix32 newscript\kixtart.kx

If we break this down:
WKIX32.EXE is in the NETLOGON share..
newscript is a folder I created off of NETLOGON
kixtart.kx is a compiled version of kixtart.kix

HTH,

Kent

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-04-27 03:53 PM

What's with %LOGONSERVER%? Is this a logon script or startup script?

Try \\domain.tld\NetLogon\ instead.

howartp
(Fresh Scripter)
2005-04-27 06:02 PM

Quote:

Next Question..?

Quote:

Uhh.. Peter - you are ....

Sorry about that - I think I meant suggestion. I don't like just putting the result of the previous suggestion - I prefer to ask for more help, which in this case came out wrongly.

I think I've just solved the problem, or at least half of it. If I try any of the commands you've asked me to try, in the windows start->run dialog, it cannot find the script. If I run them from a command line (cmd.exe) they get a bit further. I didn't use the command line before because I didn't know you could call UNC's in dos - I know you can't navigate them (I think?).

I'll experiment in the morning now I've got that far, and come back if I need more help. It appears to be running the script, but not calling the others as requested - this is probably an issue with 'current directory'.

Thanks

Peter.

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2005-04-30 05:36 PM

do you have both the executable and the script in the same location, e.g. the NETLOGON share? Can you browse tot he netlogon schare? Can you call the script from the command line by providign full UNCs to both the executable and the script, e.g. "\\server\netlogon\kix32.exe \\server\netlogon\script.kix" ?

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-04-30 05:46 PM

I have experienced long delays when browsing to \\server\netlogon\ With XP but using \\domain.tld\netlogon\ is very fast and reliable. I have never bothered to ascertain why this is.