Sumner
(Lurker)
2005-04-22 08:29 PM
Proper way to put Kix in a group policy object

My organization is spread across several sites, yet all require the same login script. I initially got Kix working by putting it (a .bat file that launched kix32.exe, kix32.exe, and our scirpt kixstart.kix) in the Netlogon folder of our main domain controller.

Unfortunately, this meant that clients at other sites ran remote copies of these files. What I would like to do is run Kix from within a group policy object, since they are replicated across the domain to all our sites. This way, everyone will run local copies of Kix.

So I put the same files from above into the GPO's folder, and indicated the .bat file in the policy itself. But the script isn't running when I login... Is this GPO configuration supported? More importantly, what's the best way to handle different sites without having to specify different login scripts for each site?

Thanks!

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-04-22 08:36 PM
Re: Proper way to put Kix in a group policy object

That makes no sense. NetLogon is part of SysVol and therfore replicated to every DC. You must have done your BATch wrong.

To get a GPO baased script to work, I leave all the files in NetLogon and put a BATch file in the GPO GUID\User\Scripts\Logon folder.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2005-04-22 08:42 PM

Do you mean different Domains? Many sites could be part of the same Domain and all use the same NETLOGON share from the Domain Controllers.

Sumner
(Lurker)
2005-04-23 12:47 AM

It's a single domain across all the sites. And there are 3 domain controllers, 2 of which are in one site. So in that particular site, a user's computer could connect to either DC for authentication. Ideally, all the Kix files could be stored inside the GPO so that they would be launched and run from whichever domain controller is handling the login.

The way it's setup now, all the Kix files are in the netlogon shares of each DC. Group policy for the domain is set to run a .BAT file that calls KIX32.exe. The trouble I ran into was that in that .BAT file I had to specify exactly where KIX32.exe exists, and so I had to specify it on *one* particular domain controller. How can you call a program in .BAT file using a wildcard that refers to the authenticating DC's netlogon share?

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-04-23 01:15 AM

\\domain.tld\netlogon\logon.bat

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-04-23 01:16 AM

\\domain.tld\netlogon\kix32.exe \\domain.tld\netlogon\logon.kix

Sumner
(Lurker)
2005-04-26 01:39 AM

Excellent - that worked! Thank you for your help!

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2005-04-28 03:39 AM

See also How-TO: Run KiXtart scripts via LPO/GPO