ADynes
(Starting to like KiXtart)
2004-02-27 08:11 PM
Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor

-- TO EVERYONE:
My web host has changed which will make the old version (4.03 or lower) unable to auto update. I have released a new version to update the company/copyright information and remove the updater. Also while I was in the software I made a couple small tweaks resulting in a 10 - 40% increase in coloring speed and a HUGE increase in performance when line numbering is turned on. Please UNINSTALL your current version then download and install the new version. If you have issues with it the old install file for 4.03 will remain on the website.

------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

Kixtarter is a full featured text editor for KiXtart login scripts. It is written in Visual Basic .Net (2010) and the newest version, 4.12, is now available along with its source code. The coloring routine has been improved and runs faster, the interface has gotten a much needed facelift, and usability overall has been improved. The program is released as donationware and is free for business or personal use. Some of the features within this version are:
  • Color highlighting of KiXtart script keywords (commands, functions, variables, macros, comments, and strings) with the ability to change the highlight color.
  • Easily insert all commands, functions, and macros with sample syntax filled in plus the ability to select parts of other files for insertion.
  • Gives you the ability to debug script files to a linked console window instead of logging out and back in each time or running the command from a command prompt. Script files don't even need to be saved as the program can use temporary copies for KiXtart execution.
  • Supports most text editing features such as cut, copy, paste, undo, redo, save, save as, and printing.
  • Ability to switch compatibility between version 3.63, version 4.23, and version 4.66 for syntax coloring to the version of KiXtart you are using.
  • Multiline Find and Replace to quickly make changes to your scripts.
  • Go To dialog to locate labels in your script or jump to a certain line number.
  • Built in wizards to insert message boxes, drive mappings, and registry access commands, and more.
  • Auto-Indent feature allows you to indent automatically if the last line was indented or if nested keywords are found (IF, Select, etc.).
  • Complete help system describing most of the features and options in the software.
  • Pre-Tokenization menu option to quickly convert your scripts using KiXtart so you don't have to do it from the command line.

This version will run on Windows XP and higher with the Microsoft Dot Net 4.0 installed, which is available for free from Microsoft.

The program is currently being hosted on my personal blog site http://www.allandynes.com/. If anyone has any comments or suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

-Allan

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2004-02-27 09:59 PM
Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor

I have been using this for a few weeks now.... very nice!

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-02-29 04:08 PM

And here's another happy KiXtarter user!!

Atoyot
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-03-01 12:52 AM

I started using KiXtarter and I like except I seem to have problems using the cut and past hot keys with it such as CTRL-X , CTRL-C, and CTRL-V. Some of my stuff I open in notepad and for some reason when I do a CTRL-C and then try to CTRL-V into KiXtarter it is no worky. Am I crazy , or does this not work?

Atoyot

ADynes
2004-03-02 07:50 PM

It "should" work. My CTRL+C and CTRL+V should be the standard windows copy and paste. The only thing I can think of is I use a copy and paste behind the scenes for all the inserts so there properly colored. Could you be doing a copy, maybe inserting something using the insert menu, then trying to paste? If so when the insert is done I clear out the clipboard so the stuff inserted isn't still in memory. I just copied and pasted the contents of this post into Kixtarter and that worked o.k. I could try doing what things like Office do and putting my program copy/pastes into another part of the clip board (like Word having multiple copy/pastes). I'll keep that in mind to make sure I don't wipe out things between people. Maybe even have one of those nifty multiple copy/paste options. Don't know if anyone would actually use it though.

Allan.

ADynes
2004-03-03 10:58 PM

Kixtarter 1.53 has been released. Couple things that have changed:

• Fixed a bug where creating a new file but skipping the new script wizard through the settings box would result in a locked textbox.
  • Change way file associations are made. Kixtarter no longer controls the file association but adds itself to associations along with other programs. Also you can associate and unassociate freely.
  • Change the insert menu to no longer use the system clipboard. Should be able to copy and paste between programs to your hearts content.
  • Using the "Restore to Defaults" removes all program settings including associations.

Please use the update program included with 1.50 to download this update. You can get to it by running the KixtarterUpdater.exe from the Kixtarter directory or going to "Help" -> "Check for Update" in Kixtarter. Also please let me know if anyone has any problems with the updater...its the first time I made one. Thanks!

Allan.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-03-04 10:14 PM

Allan,

Have been playing around with this. I like the Interface and the debugging/analysis pieces.

Question/idea:
(1) Do you plan to add in a Find/Replace Feature?
(2) In the Analysis portion, have you thought about adding a check for unreferenced variables for Functions? It maybe a bit tricky to implement, but is just an idea.

Thanks,

Kent

ADynes
2004-03-05 12:35 AM

Kent,

The find and replace is proving to be difficult for me. I don't know why, it should be fairly simple compared to some of the other stuff but the logic is escaping me. But yeah it will be added, look for that around 1.60.

About unrefrenced variables...that would most likely be a pain. Although with what I've learned doing the GoTo label section (Edit -> Go To) I think I can do it but it would be slow. Plus I would most likely have to do a unrefrenced variables for the whole script, not just functions, as it would be near impossible to search out only variables for functions. Before I do something like this I was hoping to code a syntax checker, comparing each function against the KiXtart refrence guide to make sure there properly formated. I think this would be a good addition, but then again you can always run a script in debug mode to figure syntax out. I keep thinking about it though...maybe someday I'll add in more syntax checking.

Allan

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-03-05 07:22 AM

The best Find/Replace engine I have seen is included in EditPad/EditPad Pro. Most Find/Replace functgionality only does words and phrases, but the EditPad version handles Carriage Returns/Line Feeds quite well.

Thanks,

Kent

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2004-03-05 06:45 PM

I sent an email too...

this line will throw an error

dim $array["$size"]

Quote:

Runtime error "380":
Invalid Property Value

ADynes
2004-03-05 09:46 PM

Hey guys,

Had more extra time then I thought I would today. Version 1.58 is now online. The above error (380) is now fixed. Also I added the replace logic to the find dialog. It ended up being a lot easier then I thought it would be, plus it allows multiple lines including carriage returns. Is this what you ment by multiple lines Kent?

A couple people emailed me about Kixtarter crashing when you do the "Check for Update". Another said his Kixtarter was currupt after the update. In all cases running the KixtarterUpdater.exe directly from wherever you installed Kixtarter to will let it update correctly. I have fixed this problem also in the newest version. Check the readme after you update (Help -> Display ReadMe) for a list of changes.

Thanks to everyone thats been emailing me. It's very helpful for me as my companies scripts are relatively simple so they don't test the boundries of my program as well as some of you out there.

Allan.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2004-03-05 10:59 PM

I did an upgrade and get this error when i opena script.

OpenFile Error Description: Invalid procedure call or argument

i press OK and it opens the script...

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-03-05 11:56 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for developing this GREAT editor...

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-03-06 08:07 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to say thanks for developing this GREAT editor...

I agree! It looks great.

Kent

Chaguito
(Getting the hang of it)
2004-03-08 01:12 PM

Where I work the updater seems to not connect and I have all the correct settings (probably a closed port on the firewall), can anyone email me the new version at chaguitonav@yahoo.com

Thanks!!!!

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-03-08 02:55 PM

well, looking at the authors post it seems totally correct.
the older version had problem with it.
just run the updater exe or download new version from the homepage.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-03-08 02:58 PM

Quote:

just run the updater exe or download new version from the homepage.

If you download the new version of the program, howerver. You should uninzstall any previous version of it (per the notes on the page). I forgot to read this as it left two versions in my add/remove...

Kent

ADynes
2004-03-08 03:29 PM

Chaguito - If your proxy requires a user name you may need to put your domain name in also. So if your user name is Chaguito and you log into the SuperDuper domain your user name in the box would be "SuperDuper\Chaguito" then your password if required. Also as Kdyer mentioned any version under 1.5x should be uninstall first. You can also download the 1.50 version, and when you run it select "Uninstall". It will remove most old versions and get it out of the Add/Remove programs. Then you can rerun it and install the new version.

Speaking of I found that little OpenFile Error #5 when you double click a file to open. It doesn't seem to affect opening a file using the File Open, nor does it actually affect anything programming wise. It will be fixed this afternoon.

Allan.

Chaguito
(Getting the hang of it)
2004-03-09 01:03 PM

The domain\username and password was given to the updater but it came out with an error that I can only read <!DOCTYPE. If the program uses FTP then that is the problem because the FTP port here at work is closed. I will try this at home.

Anyways, thanks for the great software!!!!

Quote:

Chaguito - If your proxy requires a user name you may need to put your domain name in also. So if your user name is Chaguito and you log into the SuperDuper domain your user name in the box would be "SuperDuper\Chaguito" then your password if required.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-03-25 03:07 PM

I've been playing with your editor some in the past week and think you have created a very nice editor. I've used 1.5 and just recently upgraded to 1.63, using the "Check for Update". (which by the way, worked flawlessly)

I may have found another issue with Cut and Paste. When I copy from Kixtarter with nothing previously on the clipboard, and paste to notepad, paste works fine. However, if I have previously copied something to the clipboard, then copy from Kixtarter, and then try to paste to notepad, it pastes the contents of what was previously on the clipboard.

Can someone verify this?

ADynes
2004-03-26 10:41 PM

Yup, I verified that as an error. It seems spotty too. Like if you use Word it doesn't seem to do it like with Notepad. I'll look into why, I'm using a standard copy to clipboard call for tyhe copy and a copy form clipboard for the paste so it "should" work with any windows app.

On another note the app has been updated to version 1.70. It will require a full download as the updater will not support the multiple files anymore. However those of you running 1.50 and higher can get the lat update of the older revisions, 1.69. Please either visit the website to get 1.70 or use the auto updater to get 1.69. As always please let me know of any bugs or suggestions either here, through email, or through the feedback form on the site. Thanks!

Allan.

ADynes
2004-04-13 08:14 PM

Kixtarter has been updated to 1.72. Added in a couple features that people have suggested and fix a couple small bugs. After updating please check the help file for a full list of changes. Thanks!

Allan.

ADynes
2004-04-28 08:12 PM

Hello everyone!

Kixtarter has been updated to version 1.80. There have been lots of changes, most have come from users. The main one is auto-indenting. Secondly is the debug can catch errors form KiXtart and find the error in the script. Also certian commands will give a verbose description of the error (try using a invalid color argument...). Lots of little changes have made the program color faster with less errors. And the biggest change, whcih had recieved the most initial complaints, is the ability to use TAB's and still ahve the coloring work. You can freely use tabs or spaces to indent, and the indent/outdent feature will use tabs for indenting and if it finds spaces will remove them on a outdent. I believe this now takes care of everyones suggestions/comments about the program. Thanks for everyones feedback!

Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-04-29 12:34 AM

damn!
sounds like I need to test-drive it again.
thanks for the news.

ADynes
2004-04-29 03:51 PM

Lonkero,

Please do and let me know what you think. Personally I think its pretty much done, could use some little things like a custom Functions dictionary so it highlights functions that the user defines, maybe just list them in a file and on startup it can read the list. Also have a Insert -> User Defined Functions and have that same list populated. Not sure how much use it would get though. Anyone else that has feedback please let me know here or by email or through the website. Thanks!

Allan.

P.S. Theres a tiny bug in 1.80 that will be fixed soon, if your using 3.63 compatibility visit the website, it explains what it is and how to get around it until I release a update.

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-04-29 05:31 PM

here is an idea... I like keeping my common functions in a seperate lib for easy access as I code, but I do not like to CALL that lib from the script once I am dome with it. I prefer to copy in the functions once I have finished developing it.

SO how about parsing a given UDF file and adding those functions to the bottom of the script as they are used

ADynes
2004-04-29 10:16 PM

Like having a library.udf that has all your functions you use, and on startup the program looks through the file and picks up all the functions. It puts all the names under "Insert" -> User Defined Functions". Then when you want to use one you click where you want it and do a insert, the program will do a quick search through your script to see if the function is already in there and if not it will automatically insert the function from the text file at the bottom. That sound about right?

Allan.

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2004-04-29 10:59 PM

I would think that would be very handy myself.

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-04-30 04:57 AM

I would think more of something like, reading the UDF file and append the UDFs to your keyword/ macro list

Then when you save the file, it will append the 'used' udfs to the end of the file automatically.

If you use Kixforms designer, the app only modifies the code between the 2 custom tags that it inserts... make something like that where it inserts the used UDFS between custom tags that it inserts at the end of the script

; ************ [Library UDFs begin] ************
Function ...
EndFunction

Function ...
EndFunction
; ************ [Library UDFs end] ************

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-04-30 07:26 AM

I think Rad may have hit on something here.. Kind of like a a macro (you could customize it to your tastes).. Where it could build a function as he describes. Or, like he said a library of keywords, macros, routines, etc.

Kent

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-04-30 08:44 AM

well... you don't like call but...
what about the new include?
I certainly will think I will use that and then I would not like the editor to pull the udf in for me.

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-04-30 10:37 AM

the reason I don't like to call the library, is I have dozens of UDFs in there, stuff for KF apps, for DB access, stuff for INI, etc.

I wouldn't want to add all that extra stuff to the filesize and execution time of every script I write... especially as I am now distrubuting my tools/apps in iexpress packages.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-04-30 11:32 AM

doh, I thought that was exactly what include was there for.
well, not sure where it will go, but if it becomes sensitive (leaves out unused UDFs) it is all needed.

Richard H.Administrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-04-30 12:20 PM

"INCLUDE" == "CALL" for non-tokenised scripts.

For tokenised scripts INCLUDE will merge in the named file as in-line code during the tokenisation process.

I would have thought that the merge of UDFs is better done by an additional step when you create your package or "release" the script to your live environment.

Having the merge done by an additional step makes the process more manageable. When you update your library, just run "mergeudf *.kix" to update all your scripts with the new library.

ADynes
2004-04-30 08:12 PM

Err....so yes it would be a good thing?

Allan

ADynes
2004-05-04 04:49 PM

How about this: You can select any file for your source and it will populate the menu. So if you have a library file (for example library.udf) you can select that and it will search the file for all the functions and make them available in the menu structure. As you use one it auto adds the function to the bottom of your script so you don't have to. But then you want to grab some functions in another script that arn't in your library so you just select this other script and it does the same thing. Maybe down the line you could select a entire directory and it would search every script and pull all the functions for you. Hrmm......hows that sound?

Allan.

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-05-04 04:54 PM

I dunno about an entire dir, but multiple files sounds convenient for the terminally tidy... those that keep file udfs in one lib and DB udfs in another lib, etc

ADynes
2004-05-05 04:24 PM

O.k. Kixtarter 1.83 is available for download through the update program. Added in the UDF insert part. IT the first time I've tried something like this, well...lots of things with this program were the first time, so let me know if it works as expected. I copied a couple UDF's form the UDF forum into a library.udf file and selected this as my source file. It went through the file and pulled the UDFs, alphabetized them, and added then to the Insert -> User Defined Functions menu. They seem to insert properly, let me know if they don't or if so if you can use this function. Thanks

Allan.

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-05-07 08:48 AM

A.,

Could there be added a function to generate an HTML version of the script, including the colors etc. used?
This would make it easier to post code to the forum with a better layout than the code-tags.

Just like Postprep does?

ADynes
2004-05-10 02:48 PM

If the color codes that the rich text box uses will match HTML standards then yeah, it would be easy. If not I could do it but the coloring wouldn't follow what a user would select, which I guess wouldn't be that bad. What I mean is if you change the default comment color from green to purple, then export to HTML, the comments would still be green. I'll mark it down as a requested feature and see what I can do.

Allan.

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-05-18 10:26 AM

Allan,

@work I'm behind a proxy and a firewall which I don't control. I can't get the update to work. The updater says there's nothing to update. But I'm running 1.80. In the status bar I see "An error has occurred while communicating with the remote server."

I tried filling in the proxy stuff but it doesn't help...

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-05-19 08:55 PM

I just updated (1.83 it is)
the default extension is .kix and still it says in editor, myscript.scr
set the commands and functions to be mixed case and still it makes all functions upper case.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-05-19 08:59 PM

also, it says script has exited in debug window even though my script is halted by "get $"

ADynes
2004-05-21 07:52 PM

Lonkero

I know about the .scr bug, didn't know about the Get $sfsdfsdf not working. I've been out of town and havn't had a chance to fix it but I will next week. There also is a minor bug that will cause a random error 380 and kick you out. Seems to happen mostly if you delete the last character or last couple lines of a script. Look for an update for all that next week.

Allan.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-05-22 04:57 PM

Allan,

Looks like there is a problem with the updater (v1.83).. It downloads the update and applies it fine. You go back and run it again and want to update it (based on date) again.

Kent

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-05-28 10:47 AM

Quote:

Allan,

@work I'm behind a proxy and a firewall which I don't control. I can't get the update to work. The updater says there's nothing to update. But I'm running 1.80. In the status bar I see "An error has occurred while communicating with the remote server."

I tried filling in the proxy stuff but it doesn't help...

Allan,

I received the e-mail and tried the Proxy domain\username option. Still doesn't work ;-)

ADynes
2004-06-04 04:14 PM

There will be a new release, 1.85, before the end of the day. For those that started with 1.80 and never installed a earlier version I would highly recommend getting this one, it includes a part of the updater that wasn't included in the 1.80 package that will make sure you can download updates. Everyone else (or if your updater works fine) just download the update through the updater. Some of the things fixed:

The caption will correctly update after a file save. Also the extension .scr will no loger get added onto the end of a new file when you go to save. (Reported by Lonkero)

The updater will be updated. It should ignore a date different of less then 1 day which it wasn't doing. (Reported by KDyer)

A couple little changes here and there...check the revision notes for a full list.

Any other comments/questions/bugs please let me know.

Allan.

P.S. - Lonkero....My get and gets statements are working fine. Try running a script and when you get to that point click the output screen and type your response to them...see if that works. I did put a note on the debug screen to notify users to click on the screen...otherwise when you press enter or space it will close the debug window (default action on that form) and yes, Kix32.exe will stay in memory.

Co
(MM club member)
2004-06-05 12:26 AM

Quote:

P.S. - Lonkero....My get and gets statements are working fine. Try running a script and when you get to that point click the output screen and type your response to them...see if that works. I did put a note on the debug screen to notify users to click on the screen...otherwise when you press enter or space it will close the debug window (default action on that form) and yes, Kix32.exe will stay in memory.

Allan,

You're right. But it is a bit slow. Slower than executing a script the oldfashioned way. Maybe that causes the misunderstanding...

Co
(MM club member)
2004-06-05 12:29 AM

Ps. have I told you I love Kixtarter... way to go!

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-06-05 01:13 AM

allan, not sure what you mean about working gets/get...
I only pointed to fact that when my script is paused with simple "get $" the debug window lies that my script is exited.
surely it is still there.

ADynes
2004-06-07 03:02 PM

Lonkero - Can you send me a screen copy of Kixtarter (ALT+Print Screen of the debug window) when it does this and possibly the snippet of code thats doing it. I'm using Get and Gets statements and I can't get the same result.

Co - Thanks. It still needs a little work...especially when scrolling and clicking, the screen sometimes bounces a little erraticly. Its not as smooth as it should be but overall I think its a pretty nice piece of software.

Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-06-07 03:35 PM

lets start from beginning then. (had to install 1.85 on my laptop)
searching it, can't find...
oh, it just placed an icon somewhere on my desktop.
damn, if someone could know how messed up place that is, he would never do that silly insert.

doing some code and clicking on run.
it asks me to save that thing.
from the past I know, kixtarter does "crash" there if you don't save.
it just assumes you always click yes.
so I do.
click yes and it gives my script SCR ending!

k, I close the debugger after it crashes not finding kix.
go to settings and see the text: "associate kixtarter with these extensions"
only kix is selected.
doh, I go to postprep folder and look around, there are about 50 different scripts with .kix as their extension.
all of them associated with notepad!

well, one thing that's not changed either.
setting it to use mixedcase still uses UPPERCASE!
as an example:
ASC("a")

dunno about you but that's uppercase to me.
anyway, continuing.
making it to use temporary files.
(no need for me to save all those screensaver files)

k, looking for a place to enter where kix sits...
oh, under that bebug stuff.

k, then running:
www.gwspikval.com/jooel/kixtarter.jpg

you see the script.
you see your damn debugger window.
you see my script is not exited.
you see your window says it is.
you see there is nothing in my script but simple "get $"
you see why I ask, WTF!

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-06-07 04:09 PM

sorry allan for this tense post.
got out of bed with wrong foot.
(overslept and missed the whole workday)

anyways, will leave it there as it has the point in there, k?

ADynes
2004-06-07 08:20 PM

Quote:

lets start from beginning then. (had to install 1.85 on my laptop)
searching it, can't find...
oh, it just placed an icon somewhere on my desktop.
damn, if someone could know how messed up place that is, he would never do that silly insert.

I did that because I have the free version of the Visual Studio installer which unfortunatly doesn't have a easy way of adding under the Programs group. It want's a hard name typed in and not a variable so anyone thats not using a English version of windows would have the icon messed up so I just threw it on the desktop. I'll be getting VB.net, hopefuly the installer with that will be better.

Quote:

doing some code and clicking on run.
it asks me to save that thing.
from the past I know, kixtarter does "crash" there if you don't save.
it just assumes you always click yes.
so I do.
click yes and it gives my script SCR ending!

Default extension is .scr when theres no extension specified. Actually it "should" put the last saved extension in. Or if you hit "New Script" and type in the name as "Lonkero.kix" it would have defaulted to this. Since you only put the name it added the .scr. On mine I just hit new script, skipped the wizard and hit save. It defaulted to Untitled.txt because the last file I opened and saved had a .txt extension.

Quote:

k, I close the debugger after it crashes not finding kix.
go to settings and see the text: "associate kixtarter with these extensions"
only kix is selected.
doh, I go to postprep folder and look around, there are about 50 different scripts with .kix as their extension.
all of them associated with notepad!

That I don't know....unclick, save, reclick, save?

Quote:

well, one thing that's not changed either.
setting it to use mixedcase still uses UPPERCASE!
as an example:
ASC("a")

dunno about you but that's uppercase to me.

Ahhh....O.k. Mixed case in my progam is based on programming standards, so usually small abbriviations will stay capitalized. For example ASC will stay ASC while COLOR will be converted to Color. At least it should be. If its not then theres a bug. But things like ASC, CLS, DEl, etc will stay all caps while SAVEKEY, GETDISKSPACE, etc will get converted.

Quote:

anyway, continuing.
making it to use temporary files.
(no need for me to save all those screensaver files)
k, looking for a place to enter where kix sits...
oh, under that bebug stuff.

k, then running:
www.gwspikval.com/jooel/kixtarter.jpg

you see the script.
you see your damn debugger window.
you see my script is not exited.
you see your window says it is.
you see there is nothing in my script but simple "get $"
you see why I ask, WTF!

Well, I tried it. In fact I copied your script and when I run it both in KiXtart 3.45, 4.22, and 4.50. All three wait for my entry on my machine (XP Pro Version 2002 SP1 - US English). ( http://www.gardinertrane.com/kixtarter/lonkero.jpg ). Can someone else try this out and see what they get? In your example with nothing between the run and exit lines its almost like its running a blank script, like its not even debugging anything. Also if you would try saving the file, reopening it and debugging. See if that give the same results. I would really like to figure this one out,

Allan.

ADynes
2004-06-07 08:21 PM

Quote:

sorry allan for this tense post.
got out of bed with wrong foot.
(overslept and missed the whole workday)

Totally understand. About 1/4 our office has a cold today, everyones trying to avoid everyone else so no one gets killed.

Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-06-07 09:19 PM

k, so 2 things for you to check on that "get" thing.
1) I always use wkix32. found it around 3 years ago and have skipped the old style kix for good. that would explain why your debugger window has nothing on it. my script always opens on it's own window (wkix32 has it's own. can't control it)
2) you use xp. ENGLISH XP. both words are alarming but I would quess the point 1 is the real reason.

ADynes
2004-06-08 04:05 PM

Yeah, its wkix32.exe. I tried it and got a different but similiar result if that makes sense. I can probably control the output/read the output of that window too if I put my mind to it. Maybe even detect the wkix32 and not even open up my own debug window but I don't think many people would use it as they would just use the kix32.exe when using my program. Not sure though, if people would want the ability to track errors generated by wkix32.exe I can probably do it, need to see if thats the case.

Allan.

Night Hawk
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-06-08 04:51 PM

is there a way to down load all the approved and posted UDF's???? i am properly confused now with the few i have

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-06-08 04:56 PM

What does this have to do with this Thread????

Kent

Night Hawk
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-06-08 06:29 PM

can you kill it i thought i was in a new topic??

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-06-08 10:02 PM

you can kill it on your own.

allan, ja...
ppl use kix32.exe as it's the one they've used since 1996.
anyways, anyone who really wants to write something serious likes the advantages of wkix32, even in simple console-screened mode.
yet, there are lot more upsides, like the ones you see when using GUI.

ADynes
2004-07-12 05:55 PM

To all,

Kixtarter has been updated to 1.86. Unless any major bugs are found there woun't be another update for a while. I'm attempting to re-write the app in VB.NET, which is going horribly slow as most of the code did not properly upgrade. Look on the website for beta version of the .net in the next couple months.

Allan.

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-07-13 07:44 AM

Allen,

my corp still doesn't allow the updater. Could you give us the direct links to the chm and the exe???

TIA

ADynes
2004-07-13 03:15 PM

Sure:

EXE:
http://www.gardinertrane.com/kixtarter/updates/kixtarter.exe

CHM (Help File)
http://www.gardinertrane.com/kixtarter/updates/kixtarter.chm

Download and place both into your Kixtarter directory (by default c:\Program Files\Kixtarter). I'll put a link on the web page in the near future also.

Allan.

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-07-14 09:20 AM

Thanks

ADynes
2004-07-30 07:15 PM

Kixtarter has been updated to version 1.87. I made a fix for international users that use a character other then a decimal point for the decimal place (like a comma) and also to allow the cancelling of exiting when you haven't saved a file along with a couple other minor fixes. The website has been modified to include links to download the updates directly instead of using the updater in case your company dosn't allow it access outside your system.

Allan.

ADynes
2004-08-11 08:27 PM

Kixtarter has been updated to version 1.88. Changes were made in how the software operates to better prepare it for an upgrade to VB.net. One side effect turned out to be the software seems to run faster, coloring code, opening/closing files, etc. Website has been updated also with the direct links.

Allan.

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-08-13 11:53 PM

Allan,

I've got me some troubles using 1.88.

On a new system (XP-US SP1) I've installed the 1.85 MSI, works OK.
The updater gives me the following error:
Run-time error '339': Component 'MSINET.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
Then after manually updating an starting kixtarter, I first get the msgbox telling me I'm running 1.88. Then I get:
Run-time error '13': Type mismatch

Finally I've got on RFC. I saw that if you drag/drop some selected text (some code from the BB) to kixtarter, the font isn't always the selected font within kixtarter. Could the manual recolor command be extended by changing the font to the selected font??

ADynes
2004-08-16 02:07 PM

I've gotten a couple people with the "Type 13" error but I'm having trouble tracking it down. Also I "should" be able to change the font to whatever is already in the text box, I wouldn't have it done in the manual recolor but in the drop or paste command. I'll take a look at it sometime today.

Allan.

ADynes
2004-08-16 07:24 PM

Version 1.89 is up which should fix the error or Type Mismatch 13 message. It looks as though it was being caused by a missing registry setting. If you install 1.85 then go into settings and click save then update it would be o.k. But if you did a reset to defaults or installed and updated before changing the settings it would cause this error. Also the drag and drop is kinda fixed (see relese notes) and it will reapply the font on a recolor as requested.

Allan.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2004-08-16 07:40 PM

Allan i love kixtarter!

just a few little things...

doing a File|save then a file|exit you still get prompted to save the file....

When you press ctrl+g you need to set the focus to the textbox.

Les
(KiX Master)
2004-08-16 07:53 PM

What about the Run-time error '339'?

MightyR1
(MM club member)
2004-08-17 08:30 AM

Quote:

Allan i love kixtarter!

I fully agree with that.
Allan T H A N K S !!!

ADynes
2004-08-18 09:58 PM

Quote:

What about the Run-time error '339'?

The only thing that I can see causing this is a currupt or outdated MSINet.ocx control. This is the Microsoft internet control used by the updater to download stuff, which Kixtarter.exe looks for to make sure its there. If your getting this error try doing a uninstall, rename that file from your Windows\System directory (if its still there) to something like msinet.old, and reinstall. It should put another copy in your system directory. If it still happens and the file is there let me know and I'll post the msinet.ocx on the site and you can try putting it right into Kixtarters directory.

Quote:

doing a File|save then a file|exit you still get prompted to save the file....
When you press ctrl+g you need to set the focus to the textbox.

Hrmmm....I can't reproduce either of those with version 1.89. Look at the caption when you do your file save. The little astricks (sp..*) will be at the end if the file changed and go away after a save. Let me know if its there or not after you save the file and when you exit. That will give me some idea where its happening. Also on the focus part...on a go to label it should highlight the label. On a go to line it should put the cursor at the begining of the line. If not let me know.

Quote:

Allan i love kixtarter!

Its not perfect but then again it is a work in progress. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, hopefully one of these days it will be pretty much perfect and I can die a happy person.

Allan.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2004-08-18 10:57 PM

Quote:

Hrmmm....I can't reproduce either of those with version 1.89. Look at the caption when you do your file save. The little astricks (sp..*) will be at the end if the file changed and go away after a save. Let me know if its there or not after you save the file and when you exit. That will give me some idea where its happening. Also on the focus part...on a go to label it should highlight the label. On a go to line it should put the cursor at the begining of the line. If not let me know.

ok i found the problem for the file save flag.

when doing a file|save using the mouse, looks like your saved flag is reset and the * is remmoved.
when doing a file|save using KB shortcuts alt+f then s, the * never goes away.

when i press ctrl+g to jump to a line, the goto window pops up. but the radio button for "Line" has focus. I need to press TAB once before i can enter my line number that i want to goto. Seems like a small thing i know, but i used this feature like crazy in notepad

Also the ctrl+f for find, took me a bit to realise that when pressing enter, it was just going to the next line in the find text box. I was expecting my press of enter to find the typed text.

yes... i use a lot fo kb shortcuts

ADynes
2004-08-24 06:17 PM

Everyone,

I believe I fixed that issue with it thinking the file has changed. Also as for other peopls comments I have made a bunch of changes with the new VB.Net version. I should be done in a few weeks. A couple things that will be different:

Dropping windows 95 support. Windows 98 or higher will be required because the program will need the Microsoft Dot Net 1.1 package (available form Microsoft or the WindowsUpdate.mcirosoft.com site).

Undo and Redo is built on windows standards, along with cut,copy, paste, delete. This means you can copy and paste between any windows based program and there should be no problems. Also this allowed me to use the Windows Undo Redo buffers. The undo/redo should work just like Word/Excel/etc.

Drag and drop will allow you to drop text from any other program into Kixtarter whereever you want and will auto color and format it to the same font type and size.

Theres a couple other things but thats the gist. I'll let everyone know when its ready.

Allan.

ADynes
2004-08-25 03:39 PM

On a similiar note would anyone like to beta test a version I should have done sometime tomorrow or Friday? If so please email me...

Allan.

ADynes
2004-08-31 03:24 PM

To those that emailed about the beta test:

I'm having some problems with the new version so the test is at least 1 week if not two weeks out. All the things I hoped to improve run slower then before, oh and it hard crashes randomly. On the plus side the coloring routine is being rewritten to the point where manual recoloring should never be needed.

On a side note would people like the idea of having quoted strings colorized also? like:

If $MyString = "Colored String"

I'm debating putting this in, along with italicising comments. What do you guys think?

Allan.

Richard H.Administrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-09-01 01:37 PM

Using VIM syntax highlighting I rely on having strings coloured - it is the easiest way to spot unterminated strings while you are typing.

Saves me a lot of aggro as I'm constantly mixing single and double quotes. It's especially usefull when creating multi-line strings with embedded single or double quotes.

Don't forget to re-colour embedded variables and macros though

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-09-01 02:15 PM

I agree with Richard..

In my EditPad syntax for the brackets, we have for KiXtart -
Quote:

(
)
TRUE
[
]
TRUE
{
}
TRUE
"
"
TRUE
'
'
TRUE
%
%

The thing that is cool about this is that it is easy to point out missing quotes for example.

Thanks!

Kent

ADynes
2004-09-10 04:43 PM

To all,

Kixtarter 1.97 Beta has been released. A full description of the changes and the download is available here: http://www.gardinertrane.com/kixtarter/beta/. You must have Windows 98 or higher and the Microsoft Dot Net v1.1 Framework for it to run correctly. Here are the major changes:

• The old coloring routine has been scraped for one that colors as you type. Coloring is instantaneous while writing a script. Also strings (single and double quoted) are now highlighted.
  • The debug has been modified to start and stop running quicker.
  • The application itself is now written under the Dot Net Framework, making the install file and support files much smaller (as they use the framework instead of installing additional files which was causing issues with the old version (i.e. MSINet.ocx issues)).
  • Misc program enhancements and fixes to make it run faster.

If you test out the new version please let me know what you think. The old software, version 1.89, will no longer be updated from this point on. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, concerns, etc please let me know. Thanks!

Allan.

Les
(KiX Master)
2004-09-10 04:51 PM

Should one do a full uninstall or does this go in as an update?

ADynes
2004-09-10 07:17 PM

It will install to another directory so as long as you do the "Reset to defaults" under "Settings" in your old version, or manually delete the Kixtarter key under "HKey_Current_Users" you should be able to install side by side, and technically other then having to resize the forms, run both version when you want. The main difference is VB6 did sizes in twips, which was a odd number like a maximized window at 1024x768 in twips was 14000x10000 or something. VB.Net uses pixels, so if you run the beta and close it, then run the old version the size will be real small.

Allan.

ADynes
2004-09-16 04:31 PM

To all,

A new beta, 1.99, is up. This one fixes a whole lot of bugs in the last beta, speeds up debugging to the same speed as KiXtart would normally run at, and a couple little changes in the coloring routine to make it faster also. The entire debug section has been gutted and replaced by a .Net equivelent, which means no more "Debug Helper" window...its a call to the system just like Kix32 or WKix32 would be. Also the help file and updater are included in this one. The updater is functional but will not be used until the final version is out and I make a couple more changes. But you can see how it will operate.

Please download it and let me know what you think, I've gotten lots of downloads of the last beta but very few comments. So if you do download and try it please shoot me a email or fill out the form on the site. Thanks!

Allan.

Beta site: http://www.gardinertrane.com/kixtarter/beta

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-09-16 05:04 PM

will the next beta be 1.100?

ADynes
2004-09-16 07:27 PM

Hopefully if all goes well any remaining bugs will be fixed and I'll do an actual release of 2.00. Then all updates will use the updater again like before. Hopefully. If too many bugs come up I'll put out a 1.99.1 or something.

Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-09-16 08:22 PM

ja, it was ment to be sarcastic
back to the version numbering you have.
the same weirdness that ruud has been "commented" about too.

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2004-09-19 11:11 PM

An architectural switch to .NET would justify a full version increase.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-09-20 12:29 PM

yep, but his 1.9* betas already have that stuff.
basically, with this style of version numbering, version 1.99 and 2.00 have nothing changed even though the version number says it's totally different version.

ADynes
2004-09-20 05:59 PM

Quote:

An architectural switch to .NET would justify a full version increase.

True, but I'm of the programming logic that says you do your versioning based on percent of program change. So a 1.98 to 1.99 change means 1% of your programming has ben modified, add, deleted, etc. There wasn't a lot that really "changed" from the 1.8* to 1.9*, menu structurs, a lot of the programming, etc stayed and I've been modifying since. In retrospect I should have started the betas with a new 0.* version under .Net and moved form there but I decided since I upgraded the code and didn't start fresh to just continue numbering. Speaking of the next beta will be done this week....fixed a bunch of reported bugs.

On another subject what do you guys think of only coloring decleared variables instead of all variables?

Allan.

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2004-09-21 01:58 AM

By that account, how did we ever end up with Microsoft Windows 5.1 ? ;-)

JochenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-09-21 09:20 AM

Quote:

On another subject what do you guys think of only coloring decleared variables instead of all variables?

Allan.

Allan,

that would be a feature I wish to have for example in UEdit since a long time now

But what would that mean ... If using Explicit it should be simple (All vars declared by DIM and GLOBAL), but what when I insist on implicit declaration ?
Then it had to be colored if the implicit declaration is valid

If you manage to implement this, consider me as a happy user

Richard H.Administrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-09-21 09:44 AM

Quote:

Interesting idea. You won't be able to catch all of them - GLOBALs declared in a parent script for instance.

You will also have to be very aware of scope. Take the following example:
Code:
If "FOO" <> "BAR"
Dim $s
$s="FOO NOT BAR"
End If
"Answer: "+$s

In this case the $s inside the IF construct is declared, the one outside is not.

Variables may also be declared later in the script from the point that they are used, so you cannot rely on the variable declaration being at a physically earlier point in the script.

As an even more useful solution, perhaps you could offer:
  • Jump to next undeclared variable
  • Automatically declare undeclared variables here
  • A meta-tag to ignore variables which are falsely detected as undeclared.

ADynes
2004-09-22 08:23 PM

To all,

The next beta, 1.99.3, is up. I added in label and variable coloring (variables will color like the used to...theres no other easy way) and fixed all bugs that have been emailed to me. Speaking of, thank-you to those that have been sending in bugs and comments, there extremely helpful. Theres a couple very minor issues left to be worked out (see the website) but hopefully within the next couple weeks I will have an actual release of 2.00. Again please keep the feedback coming...

Allan.

ADynes
2004-09-24 04:41 AM

Quote:

Interesting idea. You won't be able to catch all of them - GLOBALs declared in a parent script for instance.

You will also have to be very aware of scope.

The more I thought of this the worse of an idea it became. I really would hate to muck up scripts with meta tags, which other then having a seperate "declared variables" window or searching for every dim/global, is what I would have had to have. Speaking of can someone with the 1.99.3 beta verify I am correctly coloring variables? Our company is still running KiXtart 3.45 and our scripts are relativly simple so I've relied heavily on the 3.63 and 4.21 manuals for everything which may cause more complicated scripts coloring to be off.

Also what does everyone think about the new coloring routine: speed, options (personally I like and use the italicized comments...), etc. Or if your running it have you had to do a manual recolor for any reason? I've been putting everything through its paces trying to track down bugs and there getting less and less frequent, the coloring routine is the highlight of the program though so I want to make extra sure its solid.

Allan.

ADynes
2004-10-04 03:23 AM

Well, my website logs show a bunch of downloads of th beta and I haven't gotten any bug reports in a week so I guess thats a good sign. I'm going to put out a small update available through the updater in the next couple days. If anyone has any issues downlaoding the update with the beta updater let me know.

Allan.

ADynes
2004-10-14 02:19 PM

Another small update is available for the beta through the updater. Fixed a couple little bugs and added a couple things. Look for a release by the end of the month.

Allan.

DaoGakhann
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-10-14 02:25 PM

Major Difference Between the 1.85 and the future 1.90?
Labels Colorized will be very UseFull

ADynes
2004-10-20 05:26 PM

To all,

I've released Kixtarter 2.00. I've gotten 0 bug reports since 1.99.3 and according to my website stats there were almost 100 downloads of the betas so I think thats a real good sign there wasn't very many bugs left. The 1.x series is officially no longer supported, however I did repackage the last updated version, 1.89, and posted it on the website for anyone still running Windows 95 or a slower computer. Otherwise please check out the website for the new one and as usual if you have any comments or feedback please let me know. Thanks.

Allan

ADynes
2004-11-12 03:01 PM

I've had one bug report that I can't duplicate and every other problem has been fixed by deleteing the registry setttings, uninstalling and reinstalling. Most are caused by the old settings from the 1.x series. So it sounds like the new .Net version is a lot mroe stable then the old one. I'm still working on keeping the debug window open after a KiXtart error or searching the results to find the error but I'm not having much luck. Thanks for the feedback from everyone on the program.

Allan.

Atoyot
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-11-13 02:13 AM

Downloaded and when I went to do the install it said that I needed .NET 1.1, so I clicked yes to go get it, but it took me to an old page where it is not available. I went and got it through windows updates, but you may want to update that part of your code.

Atoyot

ADynes
2004-11-15 07:40 PM

Hello Atoyot,

If the install prompted you to install it and had a bad link then I don't believe I have control over that. The installer is the standard Microsft one they package with Visual Studio .Net and its hard coded on stuff like that, theres no where for me to change it that I've found. I do however have links to the Dot Net framework on the website so you can find it easier if you need to.

Allan.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-30 03:16 PM

Allan,

Downloaded the new version.. installed and all looks fine.. However, when updating, the dialogs are blank? Changed proxy/connection and it seems to make no difference.

Kent

**DONOTDELETE**
(Lurker)
2004-12-06 04:44 AM

Kent,

Send me over a screen capture....haven't heard of that one yet.

Allan.

Les
(KiX Master)
2004-12-06 04:48 AM

Would that be to Anonymous@gardinertrane.com

ADynes
2004-12-06 02:12 PM

Geez...I didn't even notice I didn't log in. My bad, its APDynes(at)trane.com.

Allan.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-12-07 02:33 PM

Allan,

Thanks for the response. You've got mail! I e-mailed you from your website too.

Kent

ADynes
2004-12-08 06:11 PM

Got it.

I also updated the website with some bugs reports I've gotten lately and workarounds. New version should be out in a couple weeks to take care of them all.

Allan.

ADynes
2004-12-14 04:12 PM

New version 2.10 released. Added back in error checking but it does have some small limitations, please read the help file under "General Settings" for more info. A couple little bugs were fixed and the ability to update the updater was included. If you were on of the people that was getting a "Invalid Cast From String" error when trying to update it was because the date settings in the program were ignoring the regional settings. Change your date format to "MM/DD/YYYY", do the update which should go through, then change them back. The new updater doesn't relay on the date the same way. Also uploaded is a complete new install file if you rather just update like this, you can uninstall the old version and install the new v2.10. If anyone has any problems please let me know. Thanks!

Allan.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-12-15 02:57 PM

Allan,

Thanks for the update. However, during the update process, it still shows me blank dialogs.

You've got mail!

Kent

ADynes
2005-01-17 06:03 PM

Well its been a month and I only have gotten two bugs emailed to me, one being the one above which is kinda random and another in the updater when using a proxy server. I'm going to make a small change to the updater that hopefully will resolve both and post it in a couple weeks. If anyone else is having any type of bug or has a suggestion please send them over. Thanks!

Allan

ADynes
2005-01-24 05:36 PM

v2.11 released to hopefully take care of above problems. Also the development platform changed slightly.

Allan.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2005-01-25 03:10 PM

I was able to update. Still see the odd screen anomoly where the updater presents blank screens/dialogs.

Thanks,

Kent

ADynes
2005-01-26 03:30 PM

Just the updater? That is really wierd as the updater and the main program are programmed with the same VB, on the same computer, and compiled at the same time. Hrmmm....can you try the program on another PC just to confirm its just on that PC? I haven't had anyone else report this problem yet so I'm thinking its something on your machine thats a bit goofy.

Allan.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2005-01-27 11:59 PM

Yeah I know.. Same thing I reported before..

Kent

ADynes
2005-02-14 03:53 PM

Another small update to fixed some minor bugs. Also cleaned up more code, just to be more efficient. Newest version is 2.12. As always please let me know of any issues.

Allan.

ADynes
2005-03-28 04:35 PM

Another little update which will be one of the few. Downloads off the server have been pretty high, averaging 75 - 100 per month for the install file and another 50 - 75 per month for updates so far this year which unfortunately isn't free. Therefor I switched the licensing from Postcard Ware to Donation Ware. Its still completely free and per the licensing agreement you do not have to give me a penny but I am accepting donations to offset the increasing bandwidth costs.

-Allan.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2005-03-28 06:25 PM

Would a Mirror site help?

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-03-28 07:30 PM

Would be happy to offer a mirror download from the Netherlands.
Just let me know.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2005-03-28 09:36 PM

Allan,

Couple of bits of feedback..

Creating a new script, it wants to save the file as a .SCR and this is the same extension used for Windows Screen savers.

If you try to open a new file and then cancel it, it closes your original file. Is that expected behavior?

Like the "Wizard" to create a new file.

Thanks,

Kent

ADynes
2005-03-31 09:02 PM

Bryce/Mart,

I only went over my bandwidth limits once and my host let me slide as I've hosted with them for 6 some years now. I don't see traffic picking up too much and even if it does it wount cost a lot...thanks for the offer though.

Kent,

The program "should" try to save as the last extension you saved or opened. So if the last file you opened was a .kix and you do a new script it should try and add a .kix to the end. I just tried opening a text file (.txt) and closed Kixtarter. When I went in a second time I did a new script, then Save and it added .txt to the end. I know if you start the new script wzard and put the extension in the script name (like "my test.kix") it will see that and use that when saving. Double check yours and if it isn't doing this let me know. The file close when doing a new and cancelling is normal although I'll change it if I can figure a good way to do so.

Allan.

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-03-31 10:41 PM

Allen,

You're welcome.
If the need for a mirror comes up in the future just drop me a message and I'll see what I can do.
Keep up the good work on the editor.

ADynes
2005-05-04 07:55 PM

Posted a small update to 2.18. Added the .kx extension and made it the default on file saves. Also hopefully took care of Kent's concern with the closing and canceling a file open. As always if you have any problems lemme know. Thanks!

-Allan.

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-05-04 08:17 PM

but .KX denotes a tokenized, obfuscated file. I don't believe your editor would tokenize and obfuscate the file so why would you use that extension?

ADynes
2005-05-05 04:27 PM

Sorry...I'm a moron. I'm working on too many VB programs at once, part of Kixtarter ended up in my resource scheduling program a couple days ago (damn that windows clipboard!). I was thinking of .kxf when I did the above....which will be fixed in the next day or two....

-Allan.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2005-06-10 05:34 AM

Hey Allan... I may have found an bug or two...I noticed this in both 2.18 and 2.19.

Within Kixtarter the below works as expected...
1. Highlight/Select a group of lines
2. Edit/Copy
3. Highlight/Select a group of different lines
4. Edit/Paste
5. Edit/Undo

Redo, changing step 1 to copy a selection of text from another program. In step 5 you should notice it does not undo the paste. (While writing this, all of a sudden I could not reproduce this behavior, but as soon as I restarted Kixtarter, it started doing it again)

The other error I have more trouble reproducing, and as a matter of fact only found by accident(I didn't mean to do it). If I highlight a group of text and then click on it again, it changes the pointer to an arrow with a "+" under it. Moving this around or possibly off the screen will sometimes cause the editor to crash. If its of any use, here is the dump from the crash...

Quote:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: '-1' is not a valid value for 'value'.
at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.set_SelectionStart(Int32 value)
at Kixtarter.ColorRichTextBox.clsColorRichTextBox.m_rtbControl_TextChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Kixtarter
Assembly Version: 2.18.1936.22872
Win32 Version: 2.18.1936.22872
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Kixtarter/Kixtarter.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 7.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 7.10.6001.4
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility
Assembly Version: 7.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 7.10.3077
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Kixtarter/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2005-06-10 06:54 AM

As he does not check this site often, I would go to his site and submit the comment form there. He is pretty good about getting back with you too.

Kent

ADynes
2005-06-10 02:57 PM

Quote:

Hey Allan... I may have found an bug or two...I noticed this in both 2.18 and 2.19.

Within Kixtarter the below works as expected...
1. Highlight/Select a group of lines
2. Edit/Copy
3. Highlight/Select a group of different lines
4. Edit/Paste
5. Edit/Undo

Redo, changing step 1 to copy a selection of text from another program. In step 5 you should notice it does not undo the paste. (While writing this, all of a sudden I could not reproduce this behavior, but as soon as I restarted Kixtarter, it started doing it again)

The other error I have more trouble reproducing, and as a matter of fact only found by accident(I didn't mean to do it). If I highlight a group of text and then click on it again, it changes the pointer to an arrow with a "+" under it. Moving this around or possibly off the screen will sometimes cause the editor to crash. If its of any use, here is the dump from the crash...

Quote:

(bunch of cryptic debug info clipped)

Allen,

Well I couldn't reproduce your first problem everything seemed to copy/paste/redo/undo just fine. I'll keep playing though.

For the second problem I did get a crash doing some drags and drops. The little plus sign under the text is normal, its telling you that by draging your selection and dropping it will do a copy. I should pop up a menu that lets you select copy or move but when I wrote this I wasn't that good with invoking popup menus after an event. I've gotten better so maybe I'll add that. The drag and drop though does seem a bit buggy. I'll take a look when I get a chance.....look for a 2.20 in the next couple weeks.

Quote:

As he does not check this site often, I would go to his site and submit the comment form there. He is pretty good about getting back with you too.

Kent

Yeah, usually once a week or two. I have too many other VB programs I'm working on, but on the plus side I keep learning new tricks. Always remember in Kixtarter "Help" -> "Submit Bug or Feedback..." and just fill in the form and as much info as you can (Kixtarter version, OS version, Basic PC specs, what you were doing, is it repeatable, etc). If its in my email I can file it easier and keep track of it and when its fixed. When its posted here I'm not as good at keeping track of things.

Allan.

ADynes
2005-06-27 10:29 PM

(Quotes from Lonkero in thread 141643)
Quote:

was gonna report my observation on the kixtarter homepage but the form does not work.

Its fixed now.

Quote:

bug:
- kixtarter installed shortcut on desktop without my permission
suggestion:

Some say bug. I say feature. I haven't figured out the little check box during install thing to allow the option for the desktop icon. Eventually I'll figure it out.

Quote:

- export/save to html (no, not xml, just plain html)

I debated this for a while, and having a UBB code export too, but your the first person to ask for it. The export to RTF works good, and you can always open that up in Word and save it as HTML. The text box used by the program is a RichTextEdit box so it can export RTF in one line of code while HTML wouldn't be nearly as simple. If there becomes more of a demand for this I'll figure out how to add it.

-Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-06-27 11:12 PM

the problem with word is that a simple 2k script comes to 40k in it when translated to html.
when you do it properly with kixtarter, it would be much less.
around 10k I would quess.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-06-28 12:53 AM

oh, and when you get to fixing my issue with the desktop shortcut, filetype assocation tab would be cool too.

ADynes
2005-06-28 06:36 PM

Quote:

filetype assocation tab would be cool too.

You mean do it during installation in addition to the settings screen?

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-06-28 06:47 PM

ja, during installation ask should the assoc be done...
just like when you select for program components, similar select for file assocs and shortcuts.
then, all these settings can be on one page...

and if it can be (dunno what msi packager you've got) three state selection for the assocs would be cool.
0 - do not install
1 - do install the file assoc
2 - force install even if there are old assocs

and obviously, if someone wants to remove kixtarter, the previous assoc must come back, right?

ADynes
2005-06-28 07:57 PM

Quote:

ja, during installation ask should the assoc be done...
just like when you select for program components, similar select for file assocs and shortcuts.
then, all these settings can be on one page...

and if it can be (dunno what msi packager you've got) three state selection for the assocs would be cool.
0 - do not install
1 - do install the file assoc
2 - force install even if there are old assocs

and obviously, if someone wants to remove kixtarter, the previous assoc must come back, right?

It would add itself in as the default association so when its removed it would go back to whatever held it last, if anything. So like when you associate with .scr it just add's " Edit with Kixtarter" to the list as the default action and when you remove the asc it goes back to "Test", which is the Windows default.

I don't think I can do multiple states with the default packaging wizard in VB.Net but I should be able to associate or not. I'll look into it.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-06-28 08:29 PM

k, the problem with the assoc is do you change the default assoc if there is one.
I say no.
but, you should add, if assoc is selected, a access group called KiXtarter and under it: Edit, Run, Tokenize and so on, what ever assoc you have.
or if you only do the edit assoc, then "edit with kixtarter" should always be added and if set to default depends if there is default...

ADynes
2005-07-08 08:40 PM

The beta for the eventual v3.0 is currently up for download/updating. Its as stable if not more stable then the last 2.19 release but its undergone major programming changes so I'm releasing it as a beta for people to test. Some of the changes:

• All programming is now VB.Net native. Old VB6 compatibility code has been removed.
  • Program now takes advantage of XP visual styles when run on XP.
  • Programming changes for KiXtart 4.50 added including menu option to tokenize the current script. (only thing left to add is block comments which I'm trying to figure out...)
  • Color coding is now about 15% faster on average then the 2.19 build, program execution in general is faster because of the native .net code.
  • The help file has been updated with changes and a full copy of the KiXtart 4.50 manual has been compiled and included within the help file (Thanks to Rudd for permission to do so).

Please let me know of any issues and submit any problems using the Help -> Submit Bug or Feedback menu option within the software.

-Allan

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-08 09:01 PM

Allan,

i once tried posting this as a suggestion, but suggestion was broken at the time

anyways, i was thinking an option to turn off/on the Debug window on the bottom half of the screen would be nice.

Bryce

ADynes
2005-07-08 10:35 PM

Quote:

an option to turn off/on the Debug window on the bottom half of the screen would be nice.

That I think I can do pretty easily.

-Allan.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-08 10:45 PM

Hey Allan, I'm just curious - what prompted you to write Kixtarter. Do you have a long history with Kixtart and just wanted to "give something back" to the community, or were you just bored one day and looking for a challenge - what motivated you (and still does) ?

-Shawn

btw - I'm not "going anywhere" with this question ... just wondered.

ADynes
2005-07-08 11:06 PM

Quote:

Hey Allan, I'm just curious - what prompted you to write Kixtarter. Do you have a long history with Kixtart and just wanted to "give something back" to the community, or were you just bored one day and looking for a challenge - what motivated you (and still does) ?

-Shawn

btw - I'm not "going anywhere" with this question ... just wondered.

I think it started with a basic text editor I wrote for the "fun" of it. It was like notepad but worse. Then I was editing KiXtart scripts one day and doing some VB6 programming at the same time and said "hey...I should write a editor for this". When I started I wasnt very good at KiXtart at all (still not really). So the first reason I wrote it was to learn all the commands and make it easier for a new person to write scripts. The insert wizards came out my own lazyness of looking up commands in the manual...especailly that darn messagebox coding. Now I've been converting our VB6 and MS Access apps over to VB.Net at work and I kinda use Kixtarter as a learning tool....see what works and what doesn't. I've used parts of this program in a couple others and vice versa since writing it....the time I've spent on it probably equals the time I've saved on other projects (o.k....probably not but its how I justify it). Its kinda challenging and in a twisted computer dork way kinda fun. Especially when you finish a bunch of changes (like this last beta) and you look it over and say "Wow...thats not half bad".

My only complaint is I never know how many people out there are using it. When it was postcardward (the first 1.5 years of its life) I got no postcards. Since its been donationware (last 4 or 5 months?) I've gotten no donations, not really surprising considering I didn't get a single postcard. I had 200 downloads of the .msi install file off the server last month alone, month before was about the same, so I know people are downloading it. I'm debating making people register v3.0 when I release it just so I know whos using it and from where. IIt wold be free to use as it has been but I just really want to know. Haven't decided yet though.

I think I'm rambling, hope that answers your question.

-Allan

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-07-10 12:01 AM

allan, kixtarter 2.19 just broke my assocs.
I clicked it to assoc with UDFs and it screwed up my .KiX and .KX assocs!

damn it...

I hate this shit.
thank god I still have my notepad that does not do this.
this is exactly why editors are bad.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-07-10 12:39 AM

ok, I think KX was not screwed up.

anyways, I fixed the assocs, opened up kixtarter to edit an udf.
just went to settings and changed the colors a bit.
then closed kixtarter without saving the udf and realized, my kix-assocs were gone, again.

ADynes
2005-07-11 02:43 PM

Quote:

ok, I think KX was not screwed up.

anyways, I fixed the assocs, opened up kixtarter to edit an udf.
just went to settings and changed the colors a bit.
then closed kixtarter without saving the udf and realized, my kix-assocs were gone, again.

When you closed out of changing the colors did you hit Save? And if so were the associations still checked? i.e. if you go in there are they checked off?

-Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-07-11 02:51 PM

they have never been checked.
that's the problem.

ADynes
2005-07-11 05:01 PM

Quote:

they have never been checked.
that's the problem.

Ahhh....I see what could cause that when you associate those file with another program and never associated with Kixtarter. I'll change that in the next beta.

-Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-07-11 08:26 PM

k, now we are talking.
when you do that, I might even try experimenting with it

ADynes
2005-07-12 10:23 PM

Quote:

k, now we are talking.
when you do that, I might even try experimenting with it

O.k....best I can do for now is this: If you close the settings screen I only mess with the associations if I'm already the default in there. If you add me I make me the default and keep track of the old default. If you then remove me I put the last one that was back in.

On the plus side I think I've found a decent block of code to do a HTML export. I'm almost done cleaning it up. My test code, which clocks in at 45k, exports to HTML at 210k with full font size, color, and type support or 150k for just color support. I guess thats pretty decent. Heres a block exported:

If Val(@KIX) >= 4

$Inventory = '\\' + $myresourceserver + '\logon\Inv\' + @WKSTA + '.HTM'
    If Exist($Inventory)
        ?
"Inventory file exists on server. Not running inventory scripts."
    Else
        ? "Running PC Inventory"
        Call '\\' + $myresourceserver + '\logon\COMPINFO2.KIX'
    EndIf
Else
    ? "Kixtart version is less then 4. Can't run inventory yet."
EndIf

Nifty stuff. Now I'm debating the use of right clicking a section of text and being able to automagically copy whats selected to the clipboard as HTML for easy posting. Would that be something useful?

On another note thanks to those that are beta testing the software. 2.99 is up and pretty stable and I've gotten a couple notes on things to look at. Its very helpful, plesae keep it up.

-Allan

Chris S.
(MM club member)
2005-07-12 11:21 PM

Quote:

Nifty stuff. Now I'm debating the use of right clicking a section of text and being able to automagically copy whats selected to the clipboard as HTML for easy posting. Would that be something useful?

Yap. That would be pretty cool. If you could wrap the code in a table with a background color too, that would be pretty handy.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-07-12 11:45 PM

ja, bgcolor is handy specially on this board, even if it is just white.
and allan, I still would like you to call it 3.0 beta
2.99 is version 2.xx and you are doing 3.xx code, no?

ADynes
2005-07-13 02:48 PM

Quote:

Yap. That would be pretty cool. If you could wrap the code in a table with a background color too, that would be pretty handy.

Background......hrm.......that might be difficult. I'll see what I can do.

Quote:

ja, bgcolor is handy specially on this board, even if it is just white.
and allan, I still would like you to call it 3.0 beta
2.99 is version 2.xx and you are doing 3.xx code, no?

Thinking about it the best I could probably do is a single celled table with a white background.

Its 2.99 because I'm following fairly standard versioning, each major revision is 100% change from last major revision. So 3.0 code will have half the code change/removed/added that 2.0 had. That and calling it 3.xx beta would screw up my versioning record keeping and backup files. And that would just be a mess.

Speaking of a mess v2.99.9 (consider it v3.0 RC1) will be out today and if nothing wrong is found in a week or so I will repackage it up as 3.0 final. Please keep testing!

-Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-07-13 03:18 PM

ja, I remember you always have had another way of thinking versioning as I

what comes to the table thing...
well, perhaps not table.
simple <div style='font-size:8;background:white;position:relative;left:20;font-family:courier new;'>

should do...
for most of us

ADynes
2005-07-14 02:18 PM

Quote:

ja, I remember you always have had another way of thinking versioning as I

what comes to the table thing...
well, perhaps not table.
simple

should do...
for most of us

I've been testing out a simple single cell table and so far it works just dandy....I did a preview of one of my posts with it and it came out exactly as expected.

I'm decided not to release another beta version, I'm going to keep testing and just release the final build. Worst case theres a bug fix afterward but I havn't had it crash since 2.70 so Im feeling pretty good about it.

-Allan

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2005-07-14 09:46 PM

Hmmm.. Sounds pretty good then Allan. I've not tested/run your editor for well over a year now as it was just way too buggy to even consider further testing.

I'll give it another try some time this week and see how far along you've come now as it sounds like I should not expect too many issues judging from the postings of others as well.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-07-14 10:10 PM

allan, sure it works.
one can always wonder why one uses table at all when he does not want to present a table.
but, it's your editor and so it's your choice.

ADynes
2005-07-14 11:21 PM

Quote:

Hmmm.. Sounds pretty good then Allan. I've not tested/run your editor for well over a year now as it was just way too buggy to even consider further testing.

I'll give it another try some time this week and see how far along you've come now as it sounds like I should not expect too many issues judging from the postings of others as well.

It wasn't buggy. It had unexpected features.

Quote:

allan, sure it works.
one can always wonder why one uses table at all when he does not want to present a table.
but, it's your editor and so it's your choice.

I think a plain table is a little better supported still then the more complex, but nicer, div's. Plus its my editor. Ha!

Code for 3.0 final is done....still going through trying to find glaring bugs and I want to do more benchmarking against the old version to see what changes I made helped and which hurt, mostly for my own programming experience. From what I can tell 3.0 should be a good 10 - 30% faster but my testing should give me a better guesstimate. If I don't release tomorrow I'll send it out over the weekend.

-Allan.

ADynes
2005-07-18 04:41 PM

After a lot of testing and recoding I'm pretty happy with the 3.0 code. I have officially released 3.00 as a new installable file and also through the updater. It is recommended that you go into Options -> Settings (Tools -> Options for beta users) and do a "Reset To Defaults" and then uninstall the old version. This is not required, you can just download the update, but it will get rid of old files in the install directory that are no longer needed (VB compatibility files).

Overall the coloring routine is much faster, my test files which consisted of our companies login script and NTDocs computer info script both took 40 - 50% less time to color as the old 2.19 code did.

If anyone has any problems or wants to report a bug PLEASE use the website to do so (Help -> Submit Bug or Feedback) as I can track things easier having a emailed copy. Please be as precice as possible if your reporting a bug, give me at a minimum your OS, the first couple lines of the error (I don't need or want all 100 some lines of the .Net compiler error messages), and what you did to cause the error. Otherwise its very difficult to track things down to fix.

I'll update the page 1 post with any new info on the program.

-Allan

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-18 05:41 PM

Sweet
Just started using it myself. Looks and feels great.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-18 06:15 PM

nice work man!

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-20 02:24 PM

Allen,

Just a small suggestion.
Line numbering would be nice. Maybe an option to turn it on and off in the Tools-->Options section because not everyone is a fan of line numbering I guess.
Do you see any possibilities to incorporate this?

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-20 02:51 PM

The replace function is doing something weird, well at least on my system. Here is a small example.
Same goes for actual code.

Code:

Let replace replace the 1 by 9 (or whatever) it just deletes the 1 and does not place a 9 where 1 originally was.
When the cursor is placed before the first character it does not find this either just says that 1 can not be found after he did find and deleted the other two 1's.

Can anybody confirm this or is it just my wksta acting like a basta?

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-20 03:00 PM

yup, same here!

hitting Replace All

gives me this!

Code:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: '14' is not a valid value for 'start'. 'start' should be between 0 and 13.
at System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox.Find(String str, Int32 start, Int32 end, RichTextBoxFinds options)
at Kixtarter.frmFindDialog.cmdReplaceAll_Click(Object eventSender, EventArgs eventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-20 03:05 PM

Yep same error here. And the dialogbox for replace gets screwed up after the "last" replace.

ADynes
2005-07-20 07:21 PM

I could have sworn I posted this reply 30 minutes ago but it disappeared so lemme do it again..

Quote:

Allen,

Just a small suggestion.
Line numbering would be nice. Maybe an option to turn it on and off in the Tools-->Options section because not everyone is a fan of line numbering I guess.

Maybe. The couple examples I've seen in VB.Net on doing this were all different, and all seemed overly complicated. If I can find a decent, simple, freeware example maybe I'll try to impliment it.

Quote:

Yep same error here. And the dialogbox for replace gets screwed up after the "last" replace.

Uhhh....the find dialog is all kinds of buggy. 60+ beta downloads over a week+ period and no errors reported. Release the final and within two days people start talking. Should be fixed and available for update. Also Find/Replace and the Go To dialogs should all be a little faster.

-Allan.

EDIT: Multi line replace is still goofy....it'll be fixed in a day or so.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-20 07:30 PM

hmmm, one (now two) five star ratings for Allan. Think Allan deserves a few more ratings than that, eh ?

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-07-20 08:50 PM

Quote:

Uhhh....the find dialog is all kinds of buggy. 60+ beta downloads over a week+ period and no errors reported. Release the final and within two days people start talking. Should be fixed and available for update. Also Find/Replace and the Go To dialogs should all be a little faster.

LOL
Ok, thanx keep up the good work!

[edit]
Just did an update. All ok now
[/edit]

ADynes
2005-07-26 07:17 PM

Small update is available to hopefully finish fixing the find/replace bugs. As always if anyone has any problems/comments please submit them through the program (Help ->Submit bug or feedback). Thanks!

-Allan.

ADynes
2005-08-01 04:05 PM

Recieved this in email:
Quote:

name: (Name withheld....)
commentsorquestion: AAGGHHH!!!
Your editor is completely useless...it does not respect the Windows shortcuts SHIFT+INSERT and SHIFT+DELETE which I use *all the time* to cut & paste code!! (This is much faster and easier to type without looking than Control-V, X, and C.) Please fix so your program respects the normal Windows functions!
Must use another editor for now...this has already caused me to lose code!! :-(

First is anyone else having problems with the undo/redo in v3? I'm not but I want to confirm with others. So far I haven't had anyone say anything. Also who here still uses SHIFT+Ins and SHIFT+Del for copy and pastes? If people are using it I will impliment it but again I haven't had anyone say anything except this one person. I responded as politely as I could but the person sending in the comments was just plain rude so I'm not putting a lot of stock in what they say. I also don't understand how they can lose code....I can't see this being a fault of the editor if they hit save or enabled auto saving. Anyone else having any issues?

-Allan

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-08-01 04:25 PM

Well... I tried to cut 'n' paste from this board with Shift-Delete but it doesn't work. Copy with Ctrl-C works like a charm though.

I guess if the kbd challenged user never met Mavis Beacon, and doesn't use a laptop kbd, the old school cut 'n' paste might help but that still lacks a copy function. Still, might not hurt to have support for it even though I would never use it.

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-08-01 05:44 PM

Yeah, it might not hurt to put it in but imho it is not needed.

ADynes
2005-08-01 06:39 PM

I'll add it in and also change the way I copy/paste RTF format stuff so paragraph information (spacing before/after) lines is ignored. Update will be out later today/tomorrow.

-Allan

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2005-08-01 06:49 PM

Well if you want to be mean about it those are IBM PC Compatible supported keys, not "Windows" keyboard shortcuts.

Granted most applications do support it, but Microsoft no longer lists them on their KB for Windows Shortcut Keys.

Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

Windows Program Key Combinations
• CTRL+C: Copy
• CTRL+X: Cut
• CTRL+V: Paste
• CTRL+Z: Undo
• CTRL+B: Bold
• CTRL+U: Underline
• CTRL+I: Italic

Co
(MM club member)
2005-08-01 10:13 PM

Allan,

It will be very polite if You add them to your very nice editor. But in my opinion this peace of sh*t doesn't deserve it that it will be changed...
At First let him communicate politly to You. That is what You deserve for all your time You have spend on the editor.

B.t.w. There is no-one I know who uses those shortcuts... And euh, I'm very fast with the ctrl-c(x)/ctrl-v key-combinations

Good luck!

ADynes
2005-08-01 10:45 PM

You know the saying, kill them with kindness, whihc I did in my reply back to him. I just want to know if there are problems so I can fix them. Or if something should be added I'm more then happy to add stuff, its good practice for me.

I added the shift+ins and shift+del shortcuts as I was working on the paste routine anyway to keep wierd formatting from being copied from other sources. Took me all of 5 minutes to do so it wasn't a big deal.

-Allan

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2005-08-02 10:50 AM

Nice job overall Allan. I submitted via your website some observations, or requests for changes.

Couple of bigger drawbacks

1. Does not appear to support multiple documents
2. Does not appear to support DRAG-N-DROP opening of files
3. Does not appear to support BLOCK editing

ADynes
2005-08-02 02:26 PM

Quote:

Nice job overall Allan. I submitted via your website some observations, or requests for changes.

Couple of bigger drawbacks

1. Does not appear to support multiple documents
2. Does not appear to support DRAG-N-DROP opening of files
3. Does not appear to support BLOCK editing

1. I wish I had the skills to make it a MDI (mutiple document interface) type of program but I don't.....yet.
2. I think this can be done.
3. Define "Block" editing.

A couple of you have send in some good suggestions, I'm going to see what I can do to impliment some of them.

-Allan.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2005-08-02 08:32 PM

You copy BLOCKS of text instead of lines of text. Apparently it is quite difficult to implement. ASE so far does not support it either.

I wish
I think
Define

had the skills to
this can be done.
Block" editing.

ADynes
2005-08-02 10:12 PM

O.k....I can think of a couple ideas on how to do it, but none are very fun.

-Allan.

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-08-03 01:51 AM

Is that the same as columnar blocking? That is a really cool option and the only reason I ever use UltraEdit or Excel. Nice for quick and dirty manipulation of exported columnar data.

ADynes
2005-08-09 07:09 PM

Pretty significant update is available, version 3.18. A couple of you have sent in suggestions/bugs through the website. So since I was stuck on a plane for 10 hours this past weekend I had some free time to impliment some features and fix a couple small bugs. Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

-Allan.

P.S. I spent a couple hours trying to get column/block editing to work but couldn't so I'm giving up for now. I'll attempt it again in the near future....

ADynes
2005-09-09 10:42 PM

Another little feature add. I finally added in something that I personally wanted, a registry access wizard, for reading/writing/checking/etc the registry. Only thing left to do on it is make it so you can browse the registry for the correct key/value name, as it is you need to type it in. Also added KiXtart options to the new script wizard and cleaned up a couple little things.

-Allan.

P.S. PLEASE send me your comments/complaints/wish list on the program. There have been, acording to my server stats, almost 300 downloads of the new v3 install file, on top of 200 some downloads of the v3 .exe so people are definately using it but only a couple have sent me comments. Also a big thanks to those that made a small donation to me for my work. I greatly appreciate it. (See the licensing in the help file for more info).

ADynes
2005-09-30 03:38 PM

Quote:

Another little feature add. I finally added in something that I personally wanted, a registry access wizard, for reading/writing/checking/etc the registry. Only thing left to do on it is make it so you can browse the registry for the correct key/value name, as it is you need to type it in.

Anyone use this feature yet? Like it, don't like it? Would being able to browse your PC's registry and just select a existing key/value be helpful or is typing it in just as easy? Please let me know here or through the "suggestions" menu option.

I also had a suggestion to add in the "BREAK" option into the SetOptions list, so when clicked it will default to "BREAK ON" in the new script wizard. I thought this would be good so I have added this and will be in the next version.

-Allan.

Les
(KiX Master)
2005-09-30 03:44 PM

Point 'n shoot beats typing and cuts down on errors.

maciep
(Korg Regular)
2005-09-30 03:51 PM

yeah. i can't count the number of times i've typed "WindowsNT" and "Current Version". Or just completely forgot a level of the tree.

ADynes
2005-10-03 05:13 PM

Program has been updated to 3.22. I fixed a couple little bugs and added in the registry browse function. Its not the fastest thing in the world but it seems to work pretty good.

Also we were going over our bandwidth limits on my company server so I've switch to my own server. It was windows based but the windows server didn't like filenames with multiple extensions, which the manifest files used (kixtater.exe.manifest) and the updater refused to download them. I'm currently switching over to a Linux server but those that have 3.21 will update but the updater may crash when it tries to get the manifest files. Just click "Continue" and close the updater....it woun't hurt anything. Those that have 3.20 will get 3.22 off the old server and shouldn't get a error. And if in the next day or so it says "The updater threw an exception: File not Found" it just means the sites being updated and the update files arn't there. I changed the updater to actually say "Files not there" instead of "exception blah blah".

-Allan

ADynes
2005-10-07 03:35 PM

Updated to 3.24. I hate stupid mistakes. Switched everything from 4.50 to 4.51 and modified my copy of the KiXtart manual. The new servers fully functional and seems faster then the old one downloading files too. As always, any coments/questions/bugs please let me know.

-Allan.

Co
(MM club member)
2005-10-11 03:32 PM

Allan,

I've re-installed my computer. After installing Kixtarter 3.24 and checking for updates I had a "No update Needed" messagebox with only a "YES" and "NO" button. There wasn't any text. Is that correct?

{Edit}

I have clicked the "YES" Button. After that the "Complete!" messagebox was at first empty too but after a ALT - TAB the text "Download Complete! Please close the updater before starting kixtarter" appear. Could be a problem on my computer

{/Edit}

ADynes
2005-10-13 10:16 PM

Quote:

Allan,

I've re-installed my computer. After installing Kixtarter 3.24 and checking for updates I had a "No update Needed" messagebox with only a "YES" and "NO" button. There wasn't any text. Is that correct?

No, there should have been text. It should have said something like "Your softwares up to date, do you want to download the update anyway?" Last time someone reported this they didn't have the service pack(s) for Dot Net 1.1 and downloading the microsoft updates for Dot net fixed it. I'd start there, try again, and let me know if it still does it.

-Allan.

ADynes
2005-11-10 06:53 PM

Little update which increases coloring speed slightly. I consolidated more stuff and threw the source code into VB.Net 2005 to see what it caught during the upgrade, then make all the changes back in the VB.Net 2003 source to what the new version through it should be. Sure enough it made it a little more efficient and now my code should upgrade with only a slight change needed (that and the download of Dot Net v2...which is why I'm going to hold off on a platform upgrade for a while).

-Allan.

ADynes
2005-11-11 04:22 PM

Another little update to fix a bug that someone emailed me. Turns out when you change XP's themes to a different coloring scheme it can make parts of the insert wizards unreadable. This has been fixed.

-Allan.

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2005-11-25 02:38 PM

"NoMacrosInStrings" in the "Options" dialog is not supported :-)

Oh, and I don't seem to be able to control the indenting, I don't want TABs but e.g. two spaces as indents

And since I'm already asking for improvements, maybe parse the script files for function names and then highlight those UDFs with their own distinct color.

ADynes
2005-12-05 08:07 PM

Quote:

"NoMacrosInStrings" in the "Options" dialog is not supported :-)

Will be added in next version.
Quote:

Oh, and I don't seem to be able to control the indenting, I don't want TABs but e.g. two spaces as indents

I'll put in a choice of tab, 2 space, or 4 space in next version.
Quote:

And since I'm already asking for improvements, maybe parse the script files for function names and then highlight those UDFs with their own distinct color.

I had a similiar function in a old one but it wasn't very reliable. What would happen was it would parse the file and look for Function/Endfunction blocks but if someone put the word "function" inside a block it would throw off the counting. I'll see what I can come up with but this ones a big maybe.

On a unrelated issue I had someone submit a bug report that when they click "Submit Info" on the new script wizard it crashes. I ran them through the standard troubleshooting (uinstall, reinstall, update Dot Net, etc) but its still happening. I can't duplicate it on my machines, nor have I gotten this submitted by anyone else. I've gone through the code and can't figure out a reason for it to do this either. If this is happening to anyone please let me know through here, PM, or the submit bug form on the website.

-Allan.

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2005-12-05 09:16 PM

Quote:

On a unrelated issue I had someone submit a bug report that when they click "Submit Info" on the new script wizard it crashes

No probs here. Had to rebuild my home comp so just reinstalled kixtarter to a clean WinXPPro SP2 install and work fine. Submitting the info does not crash kixtarter for me.

Just a small remark on the installer. Totally not a show stopper.
-During install it asks for whom kixtarter should be available. Could the default be changed to everyone in stead of just for me? Just a small remark not a show stopper but today I got bitten by it cause I did not look at the install questions properly when installing this on a "No privileges system" of a user who just wants to look around in the KiXtart world and would like to cerate some small scripts.

Looking forward to the new release.

ADynes
2005-12-05 11:21 PM

I'll try to change that but the installer thats built into VB isn't all that feature rich.

Anyone else have a request?

-Allan.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2005-12-06 03:19 AM

oh, your UDF searcher didn't work?
we have one in our udf library, feel free to learn

ADynes
2005-12-06 05:43 PM

Quote:

oh, your UDF searcher didn't work? we have one in our udf library, feel free to learn

No, the problem is with searching the script file. I suppose I could do a search on "Function" and not stop until a "EndFunction" is found and add that function name into the color coding. But it would only do it on a file open and not be "active" color coding. Well...if you used the fuction name again it would color it but I'm thinking more along the lines of you type:

Function BlahBlahBlah
sdf asf
sadf as
EndFunction

It not going to automagically add the function name to the coloring routine because the richtextbox inhearits the word list on startup or on a color/version change and would have to recolor each time a function is found, which would take forever. I just can't find a workable solution that keeps the editor relatively fast.

Edit: 3.28 released with a cople of the above changes.

-Allan.

P.S. I did take a look at your udf parse script but the coloring issue would remain.

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2006-01-16 02:08 PM

Allan,

Small request if possible.

The "old" kixscript editor by iTripoli has an option to add some lines at the top of the scipt when it gets saved.
These lines look like this:

Quote:

;===========================================================================
;**** Last Modified on [date] at [time] by [windows username goes here] ****

Would be nice to know who edited the scritp and when. Not a biggie, when possible and if there is time.
Been using kixtarter for some time now and like it a lot. Keep up the good work!

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2006-01-16 02:13 PM

Editor coplains about lack of registyr access rights when run under regular user sccount in windows xP SP1
Quote:

System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
at Kixtarter.modRegistryAccess.ReadCRRKString(String Subkey, String KeyToRead, String strDefault)
at Kixtarter.modGeneralFunctions.CheckAssociation(String strExtension)
at Kixtarter.frmMain.PopulateFavorites()
at Kixtarter.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object eventSender, EventArgs eventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

Program then starts up and seems to usable.

Jack Lothian
(MM club member)
2006-01-18 03:33 AM

Doc,

Block mode Do you mean like the really old block mode used in SPF or maybe something like TextPad? I find the block mode in TextPad very useful but I also really liked the Block hide in SPF. The block hide in SPF was great for helping understand complex code.

PS APDynes: Good work.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2006-01-18 04:50 AM

Well not sure about those others but in UltraEdit it works great.

Basically you can copy any blocks of data you want. Sort of like selecting columns in Excel instead of rows.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2006-01-18 07:38 AM

hmm...
that picture from ultraedit?

cmd.exe is able to do that too

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2006-01-18 07:53 AM

Yeah it can, but I don't find CMD.EXE to good at editing script files though

Jack Lothian
(MM club member)
2006-01-20 03:20 AM

Doc,

TextPad works just like Ultraedit but the old IBM mainframe SFP editor (& its later relative ISPF) worked by defining blocks through the use of block markers then you could move the block, replicate it, hide it, delete it. The hide block command was great for temporarly blocking and hiding fixed code blocks. Multiple indented do/end blocks were much easier to figure out. Check out the FAQ section on this page.

Dave's I love SPF page

Wizard
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2006-01-23 01:35 PM

Is it just me or is there no option to show/hide line numbers.? Line numbers is a really important feature for me.

Great app btw.
I am looking for a replacement for Kixscript Editor

Thanks

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2006-01-23 02:44 PM

Wizard,

Quote:

Quote:

Allen,

Just a small suggestion.

Maybe. The couple examples I've seen in VB.Net on doing this were all different, and all seemed overly complicated. If I can find a decent, simple, freeware example maybe I'll try to impliment it.

Not (yet) implemented.

ADynes
2006-01-31 04:37 PM

Quote:

Allan,

Small request if possible.

The "old" kixscript editor by iTripoli has an option to add some lines at the top of the scipt when it gets saved.
These lines look like this:

Quote:

;**** Last Modified on [date] at [time] by [windows username goes here] ****

Would be nice to know who edited the scritp and when. Not a biggie, when possible and if there is time. Been using kixtarter for some time now and like it a lot. Keep up the good work!

Would you overwrite the old comments or would you add an additional line at the begining? I've stayed away from stuff like this because I didn't want to start messing up code with junk (comments just for my program) but I could probably make this a option.

Quote:

Editor coplains about lack of registyr access rights when run under regular user sccount in windows xP SP1
(Error message clipped)
Program then starts up and seems to usable.

I can take a look at my reg reading blocks and see about ignoring those errors. On a similiar note if you go into Options for the same user then do a Save do you get the error again?

Quote:

Is it just me or is there no option to show/hide line numbers.? Line numbers is a really important feature for me.

No, not yet and not in the forseeable future. Unless someone wants to send me a custom RichTextEdit control from VB 03 or 05 with only this feature added and no other modifications.

-Allan.

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2006-02-01 09:27 AM

Quote:

Would you overwrite the old comments or would you add an additional line at the begining? I've stayed away from stuff like this because I didn't want to start messing up code with junk (comments just for my program) but I could probably make this a option.

The old editor overwrites his own comments. Don't know how they did this. The comments one can add when starting a new script in kixtarter are switched off in my case but if possible it could be in that part of the script.
In fact this is a thing we should educate our people in so they will add the name of the person who edited it and they date they did this by default but old habits are hard to change.
Not a biggie but if you find time and a way to do this it would be nice.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2006-02-01 01:58 PM

think ase has this feature too.
but to add it in kixtarter, I'd do it properly, like have date macros, so instead of telling in the comments the first date you wrote to the script or the last, it would know, if wanted, all the edited dates.
or just creation date and last edited.
tbh, this kinda script comment is not that easy and will suck a lot of time to get done properly.

ADynes
2006-02-02 09:01 PM

Quote:

think ase has this feature too.
but to add it in kixtarter, I'd do it properly, like have date macros, so instead of telling in the comments the first date you wrote to the script or the last, it would know, if wanted, all the edited dates.
or just creation date and last edited.
tbh, this kinda script comment is not that easy and will suck a lot of time to get done properly.

If I were to do something like this I would want to just put a comment block at the begining that was coded with this type of information:

; DO NOT DELETE - p98f4r2N9nmy68n87cfom0s347p8wsvmye5no8w3mes4t5cr4sd58765d5f3s6f
; DO NOT DELETE - netbr5es862q3n96nt5eoihwsaitve5bfkjdbsjhzvng4alaq3j43goao4ffx4s17sbb3
;*************************************************************************
; Script Name: Test Script

And then you'd have a File -> Properties option whenever this stuff was in a file that would give you creation date, last modified, by who, etc, etc. Also a option to keep track of each edit (although the section may get kinda big with each edit. At least thats how I would want to do it....would that make sense? It of course would be a option that can be turned on and off in the options screen.

-Allan.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2006-02-02 09:12 PM

I think that would add unreasonable BLOAT to the editor. There are a ton of version control tools out there if you really need assistance with version control of your scripts.

Many are even free.

ADynes
2006-02-02 09:20 PM

Quote:

I think that would add unreasonable BLOAT to the editor. There are a ton of version control tools out there if you really need assistance with version control of your scripts.

It wouldn't add too much in to the editor itself, the additional code would be pretty minimal and the user would choose whether to enable this feature or not. Honestly I wouldn't mind having something like this, either the above example or something simplier like Mart's version where it would just update a single line on each save. Any other opinions?

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2006-02-03 11:56 AM

Quote:

Also a option to keep track of each edit (although the section may get kinda big with each edit.

Just the last edit date/time and who did this (windows logon name?) would be nice. Creation date is of less importance imho.

Quote:

I think that would add unreasonable BLOAT to the editor.

Nobody wants bloat but adding the last edited date/time and who did this would be really nice.
Keeping track of who did what and when would be a case of adding a comment section to the script by the person doing the change. The editor should not have to do this. Educating everybody doing stuff with the company scripts to add a line containing the date/time, username and what they did would be the way to go. No need to add a zillion lines off code that slows down the editor.

ADynes
2006-02-22 03:41 AM

The more I think about this the more I like the idea. I haven't had much time to work on it but once I do I will add a "version" option. If you want to turn it on you can, if not you don't have to. I'll probably have two main options: keep track of last edit or keep track of last x edits. Then you'll have a option for saving the versioning in the file as comments (default) or into a seperate version file (either in the Kixtarter directory or in the scripts directory like *.kvr...I'll see whats easiest) and also a option to use the default author name you assign in Kixtarter or use the current logged in users name. A new menu item under File will be Properties and will look for this versioning info when selected to give you a overview of file versioning. If your not using versioning it will still give you created, modified, accessed, and general file details like a normal right click -> properties would give you. Sound good?

-Allan.

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2006-02-22 12:23 PM

Quote:

Sound good?

Sounds great.

Björn
(Korg Regular)
2006-02-24 01:24 PM

Now, any plans to support .net framework 2 ?

ADynes
2006-03-06 06:14 PM

Quote:

Now, any plans to support .net framework 2 ?

Yes...I've been slowly preparing for it. In fact the only reason 3.25 was released is because I went through a 03 -> 05 check and did some optimizations of the 03 code so I wouldn't be tripped up converting (as a bonus it made things slightly faster). But I can't see any real advantages of converting over just yet. The installer is a little nicer...I can do things like change the default install type to "Everyone" instead of "Just Me" and little things like that but I don't think htats worth making everyone upgrade there .Net framework. I mean there are a lot of little advantages on the code side but very little that the user would benifit from so its hard to justify.

-Allan.

ADynes
2006-03-14 07:39 PM

Kixtarter 3.50 BETA has been released. I've made a bunch of changes per the FXCop program and .Net best practices. Also added a simple versioning component. Its definately not great but its a decent start. Please submit ANY bugs or feedback using the website (Help -> Submit Bug or Freeback).

-Allan.

ADynes
2006-03-27 03:16 PM

3.54 Beta released. More changes per FXCop and a couple bug fixes in the versioning routine. 3.60 should be out soon as a final/non-beta.

-Allan.

ADynes
2006-04-03 07:41 PM

Quote:

3.60 should be out soon as a final/non-beta.

3.60 has been released. This is a Release level build and will most likely be the last release of the 3.x series. After a short break from this program I plan on focusing my efforts on version 4.x using Visual Studio 2005 and .Net v2. The source code for v3.60 may also be opened if I have enough request for it.

-Allan

ADynes
2006-05-10 04:40 PM

Just a update for those that are interested. 4.x is going to take longer then expected. Since the program has gone through a couple "upgrades" already and since there have been so many changes between VB6 where it started and VB.Net 2005 I've decided I may just do a complete rewrite. It would be smaller, faster, and more efficient this way but would also take a lot longer. I'm just not sure how many people are out there actually using it. My web logs show downloads of the install up over a thousand and downloads of the updates closely match that but I've gotten very little feedback and even less donations (BTW - I plan on using any donations recieved to first pay off my hosting for another year then to buy a set of XP style icons and png's). Are you guys using it. Do you like how it works, are there things that should be changed?

-Allan

Gargoyle
(MM club member)
2006-05-10 05:07 PM

I use this all of the time. Their are only two features that I would like to see added to the current release, one would be the support of multiple files in the same session and the other would be intellesense (sp). I know that the second is hard to implement, but that is what I would like.

ADynes
2006-05-11 07:25 PM

Quote:

one would be the support of multiple files in the same session and the other would be intellesense (sp).

Unfortunately it looks like intellisense logic has been added to standard text boxes in .Net v2 but its not implimented in RichTextBoxes which can do the formatting and coloring. I really should make a attempt to do multiple script files at once though.

-Allan.

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2006-05-21 07:26 AM

Quote:

Are you guys using it. Do you like how it works, are there things that should be changed?

How about Wizards? Maybe browsing to registry..
Code Snippets?

Thanks,

Kent

ADynes
2006-06-05 03:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you guys using it. Do you like how it works, are there things that should be changed?

How about Wizards? Maybe browsing to registry..
Code Snippets?

Code snippets might be a pain, espeically keeping them updated. I couldn't think of any more wizards to add....there is a registry access wizard but I don't know if people know its there or use it. I've used it...and I kinda like it, makes it easier to find something. Its a little buggy but there will be a intrim 3.61 update to fix that and support the couple little changes in KiXtart 4.52 If you guys could think of more automated wizards to add other then the 5 in there please let me know.

-Allan

ADynes
2006-06-06 09:57 PM

Quote:

...intrim 3.61 update to fix that and support the couple little changes in KiXtart 4.52

The update has been released. A couple little bugs (registry browsing, printing spaces) and a couple additions (4.52 verbage and manual updates) have been complete.

-Allan.

ADynes
2006-07-10 02:52 PM

Quote:

?

Gargoyle
(MM club member)
2006-07-10 04:32 PM

I have updated, but have not had a chance to work with it. (Took a vacation finally).

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2006-07-10 04:53 PM

I'm using it together with the old kixscripts editor.
For now I'm satisfied and have no bugs or wishes to report.

ADynes
2006-07-14 04:41 PM

There is a update to 3.62 to fix a registry access bug that was reported.

Quote:

I'm using it together with the old kixscripts editor.
For now I'm satisfied and have no bugs or wishes to report.

What is in Kixscripts that you wish was in Kixtarter?

-Allan.

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2006-07-14 05:24 PM

Quote:

-Allan.

Line numbering, line numbering and line numbering
I know I asked this before but at that time all samples you found were overly complicated or just plain useless. The absence of line numbering is the major reason why I often still go back to the kixscript editor. It is just much easier to find the error when kix end with error in expression line 2176 with line numbering then with counting the lines manually.

ADynes
2006-07-17 02:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

-Allan.

Line numbering, line numbering and line numbering
I know I asked this before but at that time all samples you found were overly complicated or just plain useless. The absence of line numbering is the major reason why I often still go back to the kixscript editor. It is just much easier to find the error when kix end with error in expression line 2176 with line numbering then with counting the lines manually.

Or type 2176 into the little "Go to" line number box and hit enter.

But yeah....I definately need to get that and multiple documents working.

-Allan

ADynes
2006-07-25 09:47 PM

Update the old website to redirect users to the new site (www.thatguyssoftware.com/kixtarter.html). I thought I updated everything but something is still poniting there as I'm getting 30 - 40 downloads of the install file off the old server each month. Hopefully this will help that.

-Allan.

Björn
(Korg Regular)
2006-07-26 10:52 AM

Just a sidenote - (or is it two?=) Nice editor, I do agree that a numbering on the left would be great, and perhaps adding /* */ as quotationmarks as well?

ADynes
2006-09-27 05:35 PM

If I said I could add in line numbering but had to remove the debug window to do so would people want it? The debug information, if wanted, would still be accessible from a menu option. Also I think I can release a "upgrade" to .Net 2.0 instead of a full rewrite...it would suffer a little performance hit but I think would still be better overall. Please post your comments.

-Allan

Gargoyle
(MM club member)
2006-09-27 08:34 PM

I never really use the debug window, so losing it would not bother me in the least.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2006-09-27 08:36 PM

me neither as it has no function for my wkix scripts

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2006-09-27 08:55 PM

Loose the debug window to get line numbering??

Yes please!!

ADynes
2006-09-28 04:35 PM

I found a "decent" line numbering example....its a little flickery but it works fine (i.e. its acurate). I had been working on a .Net 2.0 rewrite but its so horribly time consuming I may give up and just do a upgrade and replace components to 2.0 as I go. I'll see how much time I have, hopefully I'll have a beta out that runs on the .Net 2.0 framework in a couple weeks.

-Allan

Witto
(MM club member)
2006-10-07 11:02 PM

Would it be possible to have a better idea about strings?
Code:

$SO="This is a long string,
broken over several lines,
they should have the same
Color."

should be
Code:

$SO="This is a long string,
broken over several lines,
they should have the same Color."

ADynes
2006-10-09 04:40 PM

Unfortunately I don't think I can do anything that spans multiple lines (carriage returns). The coloring routine runs off of single lines, which makes it relatively fast. The old routine would work for stuff like this but it took 3 - 4 times as long for the initial coloring and had a little bit of flicker during typing. This is also why I can't do block comments, at least for now.

I've got the next version started and so far the line numbering works surprisingly good. I have all the forms recreated and have all the old VB interoperability junk removed as its now native .Net 2.0. All the user settings have been removed from the registry in favor of "appliation" settings so now the only thing that still deals with the registry is file associations which should fix some peoples problems of registry access errors when you don't have permissions. If anyone has any other suggestions now would be the time.

-Allan

Gargoyle
(MM club member)
2006-10-09 07:51 PM

Have to ask again for tabbed windows, so that I can have multiple scripts open at a time.

ADynes
2006-11-03 04:09 PM

A Beta of version 4 has been released. It requires Microsoft Dot Net v2.0 to run and if not installed it will prompt you to download it. Testing was only done on Windows XP Pro so far. I set it up to install into a different directory and start menu folder then the current version so it should not interfer much with the old version:

http://www.thatguyssoftware.com/downloads/kixtarter/kixtarterv4betasetup.msi

If anyone has time to try it out pelase do so and tell me what you think so far. Its mostly complete....I have some work to finish up the "Insert" menu system but otherwise most of the things I wanted to put in are done. Please eitehr post your comments or use the "submit bug/feedback" to give me info on it. Also remember to post the version. Thanks.

-Allan.

ADynes
2006-11-08 05:46 PM

From web stats I see people are downlaoding it but havn't gotten any feedback yet. If you have tried it please let me know what you think. Also there is a update to the beta that finishes up the insert menus and a couple little things so its pretty much finished so feedback would be appreciated.

-Allan

ADynes
2006-11-20 04:56 PM

Over fifty downloads of the beta but zero feedback. Please let me know if its better, worse, faster, slower, etc and if you are having any problems with it. As of right now the beta thats online (and there is a small update if you use the updater) is what the final v4 will be as I have not found any glaring bugs in testing so far.

-Allan

Gargoyle
(MM club member)
2006-11-20 06:04 PM

I have downloaded and installed, but have not had anytime to do any scripting as of late. As soon as I do, I will let you know.

ADynes
2006-12-29 07:57 PM

Over 100 downloads of the beta, still no feedback. I guess thats a good thing as if something was wrong I'd definately hear about it. \:\) I'm gonna clean up the code a little, hopefully be a little faster and release it as v4. If anyone has any comments, suggestions, buts to report or anything please do so ASAP.

-Allan

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2006-12-29 10:31 PM

no butts to report.

ADynes
2007-01-02 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Jooel
no butts to report.

ADynes
2007-01-17 04:56 PM

Kixtarter has been updated to version 4.00 and deployed to the website. Anyone that tried to update using a 3.x series or the beta will see a warning that the software has been updated and they should download the new version if possible. People that are running version 3 should go into the options screen and click "Reset to default", close the software and then uninstall before installing the new version. Its not required to do this but it will uninstall cleaner this way and remove the registry keys it was using. I had 115 unique downloads of the beta version with no real bugs reported and the couple comments I recieved were positive so I don't expect many issues with this release. But as before if there are any problems pelase submit them through the website.

-Allan

ADynes
2007-02-05 03:07 PM

150+ downloads and 2 people have sent in comments, one let me know that it appears to runs fine on Vista (has .Net 2 built in although v3 doesnt by default..need 1.1 runtimes) and the other asked if it can be set to install and run on a USB Key/Flashdrive. For the Flashdrive question the answer is yes, as long as the PC you want to run on has the Microsoft .Net 2.0 runtimes installed you can just copy your Kixtarter directory from where you installed it (c:\program files\Kixtarter by default) to a removable drive and use it. The settings will NOT carry over as they're written to the .Net default settings folder (somewhere in the maze of "user profile\local settings") but it does run just fine from a removable device.

-Allan

ADynes
2007-02-12 09:06 PM

Seems everytime this post gets a bump I get a additional 30 downloads the next day. As of right now there will not be any updates (although there was one spelling mistake found) as I have yet to find nor has anyone reported an actual bug with this version yet. Also I have been asked by a couple people to include thier own pet projects into my code. If I havn't gotten back to you I will try to in the near future.

-Allan

ADynes
2007-02-26 03:37 PM

Also if anyone is interested I've been writing some "utility" programs in VB and I will slowly be adding them to my website. The first is a simple network scanner (ping, name resolution) and I have a couple more that I need to clean up the code on before I release them. I also plan on releasing the code as I release the programs in case there are any VB programmers out there.

Still no issues (other then the one misspell) or bugs reported yet which is a very good thing considering there have been over 300 downloads. As before if you do find anything please submit it through the website by going to Help -> Submit bug or feedback in the program.

-Allan

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2007-02-26 09:42 PM

I submitted two (potential) bugs with Kixtarter and Vista about fews days back. Please let me know if you did not receive them.

ADynes
2007-02-28 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen
I submitted two (potential) bugs with Kixtarter and Vista about fews days back. Please let me know if you did not receive them.

Did get them but I have not been able to test on Vista as I don't have a Vista test machine up and running yet. I did mark on the webpage there were Vista issues. Friends have tested other software on Vista and it seems that different versions support some things. for instance a contorls software we run in our office will not even install on Home Premium but installs and works fine on Ultimate. What version are you running?

-Allan

P.S. - I released a little patch to get rid of the spelling mistake and also a potential update bug. Well not a bug but a niesence.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2007-03-01 02:24 AM

Vista Pro

ADynes
2007-03-05 04:40 PM

I've been told be a friend that Vistas registry is a lot different then XP/2000 and this may be causing the errors. File associations are done by modifying the registry and then making a request to the OS to update the associations part of the registry (for the most part) which you usually see as the desktop flashing once or twice as associations are refreshed and icons are "reassigned". The registry changes seem to be working (since you can right click a .kix file and see the "Edit with Kixtarter" option for example) but the file passing part doesn't seem to work which is whats even more confusing to me (if the association worked that part should also). All other program settings use the my.settings thing in .Net 2.0 so thats why there all working fine (and why if you run off a USB device the settings don't carry over). I'll have to track down a Vista machine and see how it handles the file passing to see if its jsut a change in setting the registry key or a change in how my program understands the passed file name.

So if your having this exact issue (file associations not working correctly) please do not report it as a bug through the webpage. Or just check the "Bugs" section for those I know about, anything not listed please submit so I can add it and figure it out.

-Allan

ADynes
2007-03-16 06:39 PM

Someone reported that the replace all function wasn't replacing everything, just the first couple occurances of a word. I however cannot replicate that bug nor has the replace/find function changed in a very long time. If anyone can please give me any details (OS, word searched for, etc) so I can track it down otherwise I'll assume it was jsut with the one user.

-Allan

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2007-03-18 02:48 PM

You want a bug? Here's a bug:
When exporting the script into an HTML file, the leading spaces, e.g. for indentation, seems to be stripped off.

Kinda need this fixed as I need to save about 15 KiXtart scripts in color-coded HTML format.

ADynes
2007-04-20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Sealeopard
You want a bug? Here's a bug:
When exporting the script into an HTML file, the leading spaces, e.g. for indentation, seems to be stripped off.

Kinda need this fixed as I need to save about 15 KiXtart scripts in color-coded HTML format.

Sorry Sealeopard, I haven't been on the boards lately and you didn't submit this through the website so I didn't see it. ;\) I was looking through the RTF -> HTML code and it never had anything in it for spacing in HTML so what I originally did was added in a section that said if you find a tab character to use "     " to simulate a tab in HTML. So if your writing scripts with tabs for your indentation it will look just fine. I will see what I can do about spaces though.

-Allan

ADynes
2007-04-20 04:30 PM

Wow....I think the fix was a lot easier then expected. Just forced the
 Code:
&nbsp;
character in for every two spaces found and it seems to work pretty good. HTML bloat might be a issue so I put the option to do this in the options screen in case you want it turned off. Cleaned up a little extra code in the HTML routine and fixed a little issue with the version number being displayed. A update should be available soon as well as a full release download.

-Allan

ADynes
2007-08-06 02:52 PM

Wow, over 1500 downloads this year and this thread hasn't been very active. I haven't had a lot of time to expand on the program but I've gotten very few bug reports and I've only been able to repeat one of them on very specific circumstances so I have not put out a fix for it. Thanks for all the positive comments submitted through the website.

-Allan

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-08-07 01:10 PM

I do have problems using the "Replace" (Ctrl+H) option.
I want to step through a script and decide on every hit if the found string has to be replaced or not just by hitting the "Replace" button.
  • The Find... box always reverts to the background
  • The found hit is always ignored and the next hit is replaced. Pushing the replace button should replace the selected text and select the next hit. Pushing Replace when nothing is selected should just select the first hit and wait for the next push on the "Replace" button.

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-08-14 03:35 PM

When using
Edit --> Copy As... --> HTML -->
The editor has problems with strings that look like HTML tags
 Quote:

$SO=SetOption("Explicit", "ON")
$SO=SETOPTION("NoMacrosInStrings", "ON")
$SO=SETOPTION("NoVarsInStrings", "ON")
$SO=SETOPTION("WrapAtEOL", "ON")
BREAK ON
DIM $String
$String = "Yes<PRE>Test</PRE>No"
If InSTR($String,"</PRE>"
"Yes" ?
Else
"No" ?
EndIf

ADynes
2007-11-15 03:11 PM

I'll take a look at the HTML export for the HTML like tags but thats someone elses program I integrated so I don't know how much I will be able to change that. The only other issue is the Find dialog will get behind the program if you do a find or replace as mentioned. You can work around it but if I get a chance I'll try to fix it. 2100+ downloads so far though so people are definately using it.

-Allan

ADynes
2008-03-10 03:22 PM

I'm still amazed at the number of downloads of both the full install and the update, since my last post the install has been downloaded another 1000 times and the updates a additional 600.

I've decided to stop working on this officialy (I've obviously stopped unofficially) and put out one more update which will fix the replace issues Wito was having and also keep the find dialog with focus, and if it loses focus it will get it back on a CTRL+F or CTRL+H. I'm also adding in the GPL decloration and opening the source code to downloads. Both the full install, the update (check for updates within your software), and the source code are now available at http://www.thatguyssoftware.com/ . Thanks to the couple of you that donated, it helped pay some of the hosting costs.

Once you update I suggest going into your options and turning off the "Check for program updates" as there most likely will no longer be any. I will still check the bug submissions and comments on this or any other progrma I've written but I doubt there will be any furthur work on this.

-Allan

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2008-03-10 06:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear you are not going to support this any longer. Had I used it I would have donated to the cause with money, but instead tried to help by putting it in my sig. Would you like me to remove it?

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2008-03-10 10:06 PM

Hi Allan,

Thanks for creating and making the software available. Curious why or what you're moving on to. Hope it's something good

Thanks again.

Les
(KiX Master)
2008-03-10 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: NTDOC
Hi Allen,

Thanks for creating...
You got them confused. It was Allan that created the software. Allen only created a link.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2008-03-10 11:12 PM

Right you are - good catch. Updated.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2008-03-10 11:25 PM

LOL... Doc's been hanging around Glenn to much ;\)

Les
(KiX Master)
2008-03-10 11:29 PM

At least it wasn't one of those Rich... er... How... whatever. :p

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2008-03-11 12:22 AM

Thanks Allan (Dynes) for creating this editor, for adding to the Kixtart suite of "neat things" and for the support over the years. Good luck in future endeavors.

Witto
(MM club member)
2008-03-11 05:13 PM

Thanks Adynes,
Thanks for all the time you spent creating your Editor.

ADynes
2008-03-17 03:14 PM

Your all welcome. \:\) Glad its being used by so many. I'm wasn't really a programmer when I started this, it was a side project for me to learn Visual Basic and since this program I've written a bunch more, some public, some for my employer, some for a online game I play ( EVE-Online...best game ever). I've learned a great deal about programming over the course of this software and hopefully by making it open source and releasing the source code other will learn a thing or two.

-Allan

tiborp
(Fresh Scripter)
2008-09-04 08:42 PM

This site seems to be down.
Is there another host anywhere?

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2008-09-04 09:54 PM

I just emailed Allan. If he responds, I'll let you know.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2008-09-04 10:04 PM

From Allan

Quote:

Its been moved to my small business site, which already hosts some of my other software. Needed to consolidate some sites...hosting and domain names were getting expensive. I'll update the post on kixtart.org tonight or tomorrow and get the old domain auto forwarded to the new one.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2008-09-04 10:32 PM

oh,
well, maybe we can help?

I have 10/10mbps line and then we have the kixtart.org...

if Allen needs assistance, he shall get it upon asking.

ADynes
2008-09-05 02:36 PM

It's still available. Actually it was on both hosts for a while, if you google search "Kixtarter" you'd find it eventually...I need to tweak the content management software the new site is running on because the Kxtarter stuff isn't showing up on google yet making it hard to find. The new link is:

http://www.burtoncomputerservices.com/in...loads&Itemid=53

and I'll update the first post.

-Allan

ADynes
2008-09-19 07:58 PM

New version being released today, version 4.10, that will replace 4.03. Here is the change log for this version:

1. Upgraded development workstation from Visual Studio 2005 Professional SP1 to Visual Studio 2008 Standard SP1.
2. Updated all company references.
3. Removed the updater and associated code as this will be the last update to this software.
4. Modified the line numbering routine which should greatly reduce the flickering with larger files, especially when scrolling.
5. Made some small modifications to the coloring routine resulting in 20 – 40% faster execution.

Most people should see a nice speed boost over old version.

-Allan

ADynes
2008-10-08 05:52 PM

Somehow I'm still getting downloads of the help file and update directly, which I thought wouldn't happen on the new host. Possibly the site redirection is also redirecting the old app to the new site. Either way I updated the files on the server so they imform users with 4.03 and older that try to update that the new version is available on my site.

-Allan

ADynes
2008-12-15 02:32 PM

Old domain should still forward over to new domain until the end of the year, after that it will most likely just time out. If you still have the old version please try to upgrade before this time.

-Allan

ADynes
2009-10-19 09:14 PM

Old domain is no longer forwarding and has been taken over by one of those search portal things. If your still using 4.03 I highly suggest getting the new 4.10 and running that.

-Allan

Neipas09
(Just in Town)
2009-10-29 05:22 PM

When i double-click on a .kix file it opens Kixtarter, but the screen is blank. I have to hit the "OPEN" button and then select the .kix file for it to show up in the program.

ADynes
2009-12-01 05:34 PM

Try this. Go into Kixtarter then Tools -> Options. Under the General tab under Associations uncheck everything and then hit save. Go back in and check off the extensions you want and hit save again. That usually fixes it.

-Allan

ADynes
2010-09-20 06:07 PM

Another small usability update. I changed around the line numbering routine again and it doesn't flicker at all on small files and barely noticeable on large files (2000+ lines). Also update some copyright info and made a couple small speed tweaks.

As always it's recommended you uninstall your old version before installing the new one from our website.

-Allan

ADynes
2010-09-22 08:20 PM

Just noticed this thread has almost 400k views. Wow.

ADynes
2011-08-21 03:22 AM

Program is still available (and I've been debating doing some house cleaning now that I've become a bit better at VB.net). Made some changes to my host so if you have had issues they should all be resolved.

The Kixtarter page has had 10,000 hits this year and I've gotten one donation....cheap bastards. \:\)

Les
(KiX Master)
2011-08-21 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ADynes
The Kixtarter page has had 10,000 hits this year and I've gotten one donation....cheap bastards. \:\)
Better me thinks, to go for ad click revenue. We really are a frugal bunch.

Glad to see you're still at it none the less. I still use Notepad for 99% of my coding.

It_took_my_meds
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2011-08-22 01:38 AM

Notepad? Wow, I am very surprised. I don't know how you manage it or why you would want to. Whatever works for you I guess.

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2011-08-22 02:28 AM

I use notepad as well. Grew up with vi and its still a favorite editor.

Glenn

Arend_
(MM club member)
2011-08-22 08:37 AM

Same here, notepad, even do my VB.Net and PS programming in notepad.

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2011-08-22 04:12 PM

Count me as another Notepad user. Just something about seeing everything in it's barest format. Always stuck with notepad for the old html/php stuff I used to do too.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2011-08-24 03:02 AM

Well don't count me in. I guess these other guys are color blind sadists.

With color syntax you don't even hardly have to know the code to see you've made a typo - all black and white is not my cup of tea. Losing edits because notepad has a single buffer for undo/redo also chaffs my hide, along with no code block editing.... goodbye notepad, only good for emergency work on some other users computer.

It_took_my_meds
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2011-08-24 03:13 AM

I completely agree, why you would intentionally choose the worst editor is beyond me. I'll also add some more features that make life sooo much better.

Being able to run the script without having to change windows
Find/Replace with wild cards and regular expressions
Syntax help on parameters required when calling functions
Autocompletion
Being able to region code (it's a great form of commenting and do you really want to scroll through thousands of lines of code all the time!?)

I actually use AdminScriptEditor for all these reasons (especially the last). It's very good however they haven't had a release for a very long time which concerns me.

Inbuilt COM and WMI browsers are also nice to haves as well!

ADynes
2015-07-24 03:37 PM

I've release a small update. The program is now built in Visual Studio 2010 (from 2008) and targets Dot Net 4.0 (from 2.0) which made it a little faster. The program now auto associates .kix to itself when installed and I removed all the code that wrote to the HKey_Classes root for other file associations. This lets it run without any type of admin privileges. You can of course switch .kix back to whatever after this is installed if you want. Also switched verbiage and any color coding from 4.60 to 4.66. I did not update the help file for 4.66.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2015-07-26 12:01 AM

Thank you for continuing to support the kixtart community. I downloaded a copy of 4.12 for my archives.

ADynes
2019-11-06 05:13 PM

Not that anyone other then myself is still using this but I made some optimization updates. The old version (4.12) was targeting .Net 3.5 and the new version (4.13) is targeting .Net 4.7 so it should work better on Windows 10.

If anyone wants it: http://allandynes.com/2015/08/kixtarter-kixtart-script-editor/

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2019-11-19 10:30 AM

Thanks for sharing Allan