jkm777
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-02-06 07:57 PM
Minimum needed for 'writevalue' command to work

I need to know what is the minimum needed to make the 'writevalue' command work in a logon.cmd on a 2000 domain. Dll?, program install?, reboot for either????

Thanks

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2004-02-06 08:24 PM
Re: Minimum needed for 'writevalue' command to work

Welcome to the board..

WRITEVALUE is used to write a value to the registry.
WRITELINE is used to write a line to a TEXT file.
WRITEPROFILESTRING is used to write an entry in an INI file.

From what you are talking about, you probably need WRITELINE. A pretty decent example is in the Guide provided with the KiXtart download. Or, you can look at the LOGGER() UDF in the UDF Forum here on this site.

HTH,

Kent

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2004-02-06 08:24 PM

The minimum requirement would be KiXtart v3.x

jkm777
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-02-06 09:14 PM

Will I need a reboot?

jkm777
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-02-06 09:33 PM

Sorry guys, I am getting no where fast. Spell it out.
Do I put kix32 or Wkix32 in the scripts folder?? What will the profile say. (this is for citrix users by the way)
All I want to do is run " writevalue( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" , "nodrives" , "262144" , "REG_DWORD" )" for any user I want in the domain. This statement is in a test.cmd file. Test.cmd is in the scripts folder. It is also listed in the profile. This is Windows 2000 server.

Kevin

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2004-02-06 09:50 PM

You might want to start by reading the KiXtart Manual and the FAQ Forum. They explain in detail how to install KiXtart and run scripts. Installation of KiXtart does nto require reboots, just put it into an appropriate folder. Also, registry writes to the policies subfolders require administrative privileges.
Code:

$rc=writevalue('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer','nodrives','262144','REG_DWORD')

jkm777
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-02-06 10:17 PM

OK. Now I know I am going to make friends forever.
All of the Kix manuals assume you are alread a KIX user.
And for some reason assumes Windows 95 still exists. Please, it is so simple...it has to be. If I can make ONE work, I am good to go.

What is $rc....that tells me nothing. Dont answer...

Just please tell me how to run the script I listed. I am testing this product.

Does still yet another script listed in the profile need to read kix32 test.cmd to make writevalue work?

Please, no abbreviations, spell it out.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2004-02-06 10:22 PM

On AD, under the users account. Under the Profile tab where it says Logon Script: You need to place something like this. WKIX32.EXE LOGONSCRIPT.KIX

Replace LOGONSCRIPT.KIX with the name of your script.
Make sure that WKIX32.EXE v4.22 and your SCRIPT are in the SAME folder on the NETLOGON share of the Domain Controllers

jkm777
(Fresh Scripter)
2004-02-06 10:27 PM

You are a genious. Thanks. I am not an idiot ,really. I just need to move toward a working solution quickly.
Thanks

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2004-02-06 10:33 PM

I don't think you need to be a KiXtart user to a) read the KiXtart Manual and b) go into the FAQ Forum and read KiXtart Starter's Guide or Batch-less (or remove NTLOGON.BAT) Login script..

Les
(KiX Master)
2004-02-06 10:44 PM

If all you want to do is hide the drives for all the users, you can easily do that with a LGPO. No KiX or admin rights for the users needed. You could also do it in HKLM just by hacking the reg.
Quote:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDrives REG_DWORD 3C00000
where in binary it's: 11110000000000000000000000
each bit represents: ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA