Hi all,

i'm desperate to get some ldap scripts going on. I figured i'd start by getting to know syntax and schema by playing around with common objects and their properties but it's been a struggle since then.

i'v been reading some posts from the board along with the adsi sdk to figure out what i've been doing wrong, always testing from my laptop. Because i wasn't able to even do a simple getobject on a user to complete succesfully, a figured maybe i got the syntax right, but there is some other problem. I then made my single DC W2K domain to go native, i joined my laptop and configured DCHP DNS etc all for dynamic updates.
I tried a simple script from this topic on my laptop, and it still isn't working, i get the error "-2147016646/The server is not operational."
If i process the exact same script on the dc itsself it does work just fine. I figure there is some setting/permission that is preventing ldap to connect from a remote machine but i cannot figure out what. On both machines i am logged on using the administrator account of the domain.

The domain name is mvdw.nl
The server is named connserver
$fullname = CN=WCWS321,CN=Computers,DC=mvdw,DC=nl
if i use either :
$user = GetObject("LDAP://mvdw.nl/$fullname")
or
$user = GetObject("LDAP://$fullname")
i keep getting the error on my laptop and success on the dc itsself.

Alex/Shawn, you have written quite some ldap, do you have ANY idea what i'm doing wrong ???

the only thing i could find on support.microsoft.com was a bit on multihomed machines that have more than 51 (!!!) ip addresses, i must say that it is a multihomed server, i also have a NIC that connects to my ADSL modem, and the server provides itsself and my laptop internet access through RRAS. Giving the machine 3 ip addresses (LAN, modemLAN and VPN).

ANY help would really be appreciated...

PS: forgot to mention wcws321 is the name of my laptop and i can run the following succesfully from my laptop :
$fullname = createobject("adsysteminfo").computername
? $fullname
output is :
CN=WCWS321,CN=Computers,DC=mvdw,DC=nl

Another weird observation: if i use the dsbrowse utility from teh sdk, my domain shows under the WINNT: provider, not under the LDAP: provider.

[ 02 February 2002: Message edited by: mvdw ]