Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#208968 - 2014-05-30 01:31 AM Information lacking in error messages
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi Ruud et. al.,

I'm posting this here because I think this is an issue not merely a suggestion. Anyway, this has probably been raised before but there are a number of errors that don't give line numbers or script names. This makes it impossible to track down what script had an issue or even if you know what script it, where the error actually is.

Some examples are:
  • Fatal exception occurred.
  • KXGetInfo95 Error : The specified module could not be found.
  • RasEnumConnections failed

I see this as a significant problem. Can we please have this information for all errors?

Regards,

Richard

#208969 - 2014-05-30 03:16 AM Re: Information lacking in error messages [Re: It_took_my_meds]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
fatal expection is exactly that. not a script error. a crash. thus there is no possible line number.

download KiXnet

#208970 - 2014-05-30 03:33 AM Re: Information lacking in error messages [Re: Lonkero]
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Yep, I know it isn't a direct script error, but it would be extremely useful to know what script line and script was getting processed when the fatal exception was hit. In my experience, I have only seen fatal exceptions from a specific line of my code interacting with a COM object. I can usually work around them by adjusting my code. I just need to know where to look.
#208971 - 2014-05-30 04:07 AM Re: Information lacking in error messages [Re: It_took_my_meds]
KiX Master Guru

in principle, fatal exception can't happen. it's like a blue screen. but instead of the whole OS going down, it's just the software. when you get to exception like that, there is no, "hey, lets go backwards in time and look at what happened"

as to what is causing it. bad ram. bad exe-file (corrupt transfer, bad filesystem, bad av)
kixtart, as far as I know, has no managed code in it. it is pure c++ stuff. when things go bad, they really go bad.

if you indeed have fatal exception occurring, the cause needs to be investigated. and my take on it, the environment is 100% the cause. has nothing to do with a script.

if you have lot of these issues, start logging. I always log my scripts. causes more trashy files, but at least I know what was going on week ago tuesday when every one started experiencing drive map issues. or so.

download KiXnet

#208972 - 2014-05-30 06:05 AM Re: Information lacking in error messages [Re: Lonkero]
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Maybe I misunderstood what was going on with fatal exceptions?

It was my opinion that as the error happened in the COM object code, the KiXtart interpreter code would still be functional enough to give the line number. I say this as there is an entry (with a source of KIXTART) put in the application event log when there is a fatal exception just like there is when there is a normal script error.

#208973 - 2014-05-30 01:50 PM Re: Information lacking in error messages [Re: It_took_my_meds]
KiX Master Guru

hmm... I think you are correct. if the source is kixtart, it means, a crash happened BUT, kixtart is still able to catch that exception and report it. in these cases, as I see it the catch is a last attempt to log something useful before exiting... I do not know the internal design to say for sure, but think you have a point. something else might be available for logging.

download KiXnet

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  ShaneEP, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 557 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.02 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.