Hello,
I have been having an issue with KIX32.exe for the past two months that I am unable to figure out. I’m not 100% sure if it is even an issue with KIX or not, but perhaps someone has experienced similar issues or can point me in the right direction.

We are currently running KIX.32 v4.51, it has been working for at least the past three years. The Kix32.exe is located in our netlogon folder, and our students are mapped to it through their active directory profile. Pretty much all we are using it for is to map lab printers to the computers when the student logs in. All of our computer labs are running Windows 7.

Anyhow here is the problem. Sometimes the printer won’t load for some individuals (not sure if the KIX loads or not when this happens). Case in point, a class this morning KIX loaded the printer for all students, second class only half of the class had their printers loaded, then the third class all printers loaded again. In the open labs this issue is random some students will have their printers loaded, but then some don’t. When I spot check it typically works fine for me, but I have seen it where nothing happened. Our labs are fairly small around 30 computers max.

I initially the issue could be coming from one of the Domain Controllers (we have 2, server 2008 R2), but I had reports that troubled users have been logged on to either of the DCs, it has been about 50/50.

I thought since we had an older version of KIX that I would update it to the latest version, but it caused me more problems. I did an upgrade to 4.66 and when I tested in the lab of 15 only 4 computers had their printers load. I went back to the 4.51 version and when I again tested all 15 machines printers loaded.

Anyone experience anything like this? Any suggestions or advice would be helpful, I am at the end any ideas I have. Next step that one of our Techs wants to do is to start writing printerui bat, but I would prefer to stay with KIX.

Thanks

Gary