Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#207847 - 2013-10-02 11:06 AM User Profiles
GeorgeLittle Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: UK
Hi Guys,

So someone must have had to do this before me. So rather than re-inventing the wheel here goes. We are about to migrate our users from thick client deskstop pc's running Windows XP or Windows 2000 I want a script we can run out of hours to look at all the local profiles on a PC enumerate the number type and size of files and then record it in a text file or similar

#207848 - 2013-10-02 12:43 PM Re: User Profiles [Re: GeorgeLittle]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Why - to prepare to migrate them?

For thin client solutions, you're best using a redirected profile. This works like a local profile, but key folders are placed on a file server. Only dynamic station settings are stored locally. I create a Profiles share on fast storage for this. If you implement redirected profiles now, Windows will automatically move the user's profile data to the remote location. It's a simple GPO settings and transparent to the user. One word of caution, though - with any VDI or remote profile solution, you MUST ELIMINATE any PST file use if you have more than 5 or so users or you can saturate your file server resources.

If you have other requirements, give us an outline and we'll put something together to enumerate the folder structure - Dir() and DirPlus() come to mind to get one level or the entire structure.

Glenn

#207849 - 2013-10-02 02:10 PM Re: User Profiles [Re: Glenn Barnas]
GeorgeLittle Offline
Fresh Scripter

Yep PST's are evil

So we need to know how much space we are going to need to provision. We did think about setting re-directed profiles but we know the users have a lot of junk we dont want to migrate.

So ideally the script will

Go down a list of workstations
Query the documents and settings/profile folder
List each users folder size, last updated date, and a count of the differing extensions and the file sizes eg

that then export a csv

Computer Folder Owner Modified Size Total Jpg Total Doc Total XLS Total MP3 Total

#207850 - 2013-10-02 02:42 PM Re: User Profiles [Re: GeorgeLittle]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
JPG?? MP3?? Sounds like you need a "Business Only" policy! I put this together for a client some time ago to analyze network home folders. They were amazed/shocked/appalled to find that nearly 45% of the SAN space was consumed by personal media - photos, music, videos.

They created a business policy that forbade storing any media on the home share. Users that had a business reason (advertising & presentations) for such media were required to store it on the department share. An announcement was sent to all users. Media on this share were excluded from backups. A series of emails reminded people to remove all personal media from their home share before we began deleting it.

I'll see if I still have any code from that project that you might be able to adapt..

Glenn

#207851 - 2013-10-02 02:49 PM Re: User Profiles [Re: Glenn Barnas]
GeorgeLittle Offline
Fresh Scripter

Hi Glenn

That sounds just the ticket \:D I would expect that we have a similar figure of SAN usage for personal media

#207862 - 2013-10-06 03:23 AM Re: User Profiles [Re: GeorgeLittle]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
the easiest way of doing this would still be to enable folder redirection. be it cheap sata nas with few terabytes of space for the transition period or what ever, but once all the crap is in a central location it is WAY easier to cleanup and control.

download KiXnet

#207865 - 2013-10-07 09:17 AM Re: User Profiles [Re: Lonkero]
GeorgeLittle Offline
Fresh Scripter

it would indeed Lonkero but that has been rulled out by my lords and masters
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 507 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org