Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#19582 - 2002-04-05 07:29 PM RAS on W2K pro
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey all,

I see many posts on stopping Kix when using RAS and a few on speeding it up but someone must have noticed this by now. Maybe I missed it in the docs [Wink] We run both 9x and W2K stations. The Kix files are stored on the C: but the script is in the netlogon shares and is executed from the NT logon script. When 9x client RAS in they run the script and get all the mappings. When W2K users RAS in it only runs the NT script (2 drives are mapped here) but the remainder isn't reachable. Also the drives mapped in the NT scripted show up as offline when not networked where the Kix drives are simply gone when not networked. We don't use persistent or @RAS and our Kix version is about 6 months old. Any thoughts?

#19583 - 2002-04-05 09:17 PM Re: RAS on W2K pro
Rocco Capra Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Mansfield Ohio
Would something like this help...
code:
:RAS
IF (@RAS > 0)
? "[ You are logging in through VPN/RAS... ]"
? "[ The Login Script will exit... ]"
SLEEP 7
GOTO END
ENDIF

Of course you can modify it to 'GOTO' whereever you want.

Rocco

#19584 - 2002-04-05 10:59 PM Re: RAS on W2K pro
Anonymous
Unregistered

That would warn them but I'd rather the script ran. Must be something in my method since I still haven't seen others with the issue.
#19585 - 2002-04-06 12:10 AM Re: RAS on W2K pro
Rocco Capra Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Mansfield Ohio
Can you Post the script...?

#19586 - 2002-04-06 12:16 AM Re: RAS on W2K pro
BrianTX Offline
Korg Regular

Post a sample of the code you are using. It could be about anything....

I notice you said that the script is local and the kix32 is on the netlogon share... It would be more efficient over dialup if you could have your script transfer your kix32.exe (or wkix) locally and execute it from there. I am using a similar setup that runs the kix script from a batch file looking like this:

@echo off
if exist %windir%\kix32.exe %windir%\kix32.exe %0\..\kixtart.kix > nul
if not exist %windir%\kix32.exe %0\..\kix32.exe %0\..\kixtart.kix > nul

If the kix32.exe is found local then it runs locally. If not, it runs from the logon server. In my script I detect if the kix32.exe file is there, and if possible (user has admin access on machine), I create a subroutine to copy the necessary kix file(s) to the local machine. This may or may not help when using NT or W2K (i.e. local admin access not available), but if ever you make an install package that is deployed to everyone, you can sneak the kix32 files into your setup.

After saying all that, I realize this may be irrelevant to your question... One pertinent fact may be that the best way to get the script to run properly is to check the little box that says use dial-up networking on the initial W2K logon screen. Also, you may want to check the properties of their dial-up connections to see if they have the box checked that says "Include Windows logon domain".

Brian

#19587 - 2002-04-08 04:05 PM Re: RAS on W2K pro
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Kix files are on the local drive. Only the script file is on the Netlogon share.

Here is the NT script:
echo off

rem mapping the Shared directory
net use h: \\server\share

rem mapping the User directory
net use g: /home

@echo off
rem Ensure the Kixtart DLLs are installed on Win9X
rem IF NOT EXIST C:\SCR XCOPY %0\..\SCR\*.* C:\SCR\*.* /D /H /I /R /V > NUL
XCOPY %0\..\SCR\*.* C:\SCR\*.* /D /H /I /R /V /C /Y > NUL

rem Run the main Kixtart script
C:\SCR\KIX32.EXE %0\..\script.kix

The Kix script:
; KIXTART.SCR
;
CLS

IF INGROUP ("GroupName")
USE I: "\\SERVER\SHARE"
ENDIF

IF INGROUP ("GroupName")
USE J: "\\SERVER\SHARE"
; USE J: "\\SERVER\SHARE"
ENDIF

:END
Exit

There's more to the script but that's the beginning and it doesn't do that much when using RAS.

#19588 - 2002-04-08 04:26 PM Re: RAS on W2K pro
BrianTX Offline
Korg Regular

This looks to me like a similar problem to what someone else was having under another topic on Win2k..

You might try making a different section for Windows NT that doesn't use the same xcopy command.

There are two issues you might be running into:

1. You must have local admin rights on the NT machine to copy the kix32 executable. If this is not the case, the kix32.exe will never copy to the local drive and the script will not run.

2. If you do have admin rights on the local machine, you might try something besides xcopy to copy files.

To solve the first problem, run kix32.exe from the netlogon share (unfortunately pretty slow). Unless you go through an unsecure or elaborate process to give administrator rights on the machine, this may be your best option.

Secondly, if you already have admin rights, try branching to a separate section for NT that copies only the kix32.exe to the client system. The easiest way would be to us the %OS% local variable to detect NT, then in your NT section use a process similar to:

IF NOT EXIST %WINDIR%\KIX32.EXE COPY %0\..\KIX32.EXE %WINDIR%

Brian

#19589 - 2002-04-08 05:12 PM Re: RAS on W2K pro
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why only Kix32? The xcopy works fine on network connections. I wouldn't think RAS would change that.
#19590 - 2002-04-08 10:44 PM Re: RAS on W2K pro
Anonymous
Unregistered

With NT4 and 2k you dont authenticate against netlogon when coming in remotely. 9x does. So you'd actually need some sort of check in your .bat file to run the full path to the script if vpn'd in. IE start kix32 \\servername\netlogon\kixfile.kix
#19591 - 2002-04-09 03:37 PM Re: RAS on W2K pro
BrianTX Offline
Korg Regular

First of all, you only need the kix32.exe file on Windows NT and Windows 2000 computers. You don't need the kx16.dll, etc. If someone is on dialup, then when hog up their bandwidth trying to send these files?

I have recently had my own problems using kix logon scripts over dialup with Windows 2000. I am using a similar setup as far as running kix locally and having the script on the server. Everything was slow before I copied over the kix32 to the %windows% folder. I found that the user having trouble did not have administrative rights, so the kix32.exe file had to be copied over manually. Once this was accomplished, things still ran a little slowly, but at least they ran. I did NOT have a problem needing a direct mapping for the script location. The way you have it set:

c:\scr\kix32.exe %0\..\script.kix is very similar to what I'm using, so it should run. I get my drive mapping just fine without a direct mapping to the script. That's why I think the problem is elsewhere.

Brian

#19592 - 2002-04-11 05:17 PM Re: RAS on W2K pro
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Les has the answer. Rings a bell now. If the user shuts down and restarts then logs on using dial up it works. Only fails when dialing after logging in. I don't think I want to point them at a specific server to fix it though. Still doesn't answer why NT scripted mappings are remembered (red X) when offline but Kix mapped drives aren't. Anyway thanks for the ideas.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 259 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org