Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#208123 - 2013-12-03 11:40 PM Is there a UDF that scripts digest username and password for IE?
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: London, England
I am trying to set the username and password for digest proxy authentication automatically for Internet Explorer and also to get IE to stop showing the authentication dialogue box when the username and password has already been put in. Already got Firefox sorted, but IE is a pain. Using IE 10.

This is the coding that I am using

Code:
shell 'cmdkey /generic:"Microsoft_WinInet_proxy:3128/Our Internet" /user:technicians /pass:password'

Every Microsoft website says that this should work, but while it puts in the username and password into windows 7 credentials manager, IE does not seem to use these credentials entered by the script. IE only works if the username and password is entered manually into the IE dialogue box and settings are saved!

The script itself is not the problem as running the command in command prompt also fails.

Is there some other way of coding this? The end users all use Firefox, but one of several problems we have encountered is that there certain things such as clicking on hyperlinks in word files seem to require the proxy username and password to be set in IE even though Firefox is the default browser and the hyperlink opens in Firefox. So we would like to automate the digest authentication for IE to shut windows up!

But the only coding I can find is the cmdkey which does not seem to work with IE9 and above - so perhaps there is some com coding or something that would do the trick?

Thanks

#208136 - 2013-12-08 06:41 PM Re: Is there a UDF that scripts digest username and password for IE? [Re: Robdutoit]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

If anyone else is interested in fixing this problem, I have managed to find some sort of a solution.

If you are using windows 7 (and I presume windows 8), install the latest updates as of this date and install Internet Explorer 11. It appears that Microsoft have very recently updated both the operating system and Internet Explorer to use the credential manager for proxy servers, but they seemed to have dropped WinInet.

Code:
shell 'cmdkey /generic:192.168.0.1 /user:technicians /pass:password'

Since doing the windows update this week (and I update my windows regularly) and updating to IE11, this command now works - as you have noticed its slightly different from the original command! When I use kixtart script to apply this command - obviously changing the word password with the actual password and the ip address shown with the actual IP address of the proxy, it now applies to Internet explorer and all the other programs that seemed to require IE proxy authentication such as windows gadgets, hyperlinks in Microsoft Office etc! And the bonus is once I have set the credentials in credential manager once - I no longer get the popup requesting username and password even though the username and password details are already filled out in the popup box.

I believe that the solution will only work for you if use Windows 7 and above as you require IE11 and a particular windows update for this to work properly and Vista and below do not support IE11. From some articles that I have read, it appears that Microsoft have changed the way that the authentication works for IE10 and IE11.

don't know if anyone would find this useful, but I that I would let you all know that there is a solution of sorts. Thanks

Edited by Robdutoit (2013-12-08 06:42 PM)
Edit Reason: put wrong tags in

#208137 - 2013-12-08 07:22 PM Re: Is there a UDF that scripts digest username and password for IE? [Re: Robdutoit]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
 Originally Posted By: Robdutoit
The end users all use Firefox, but one of several problems we have encountered is that there certain things such as clicking on hyperlinks in word files seem to require the proxy username and password to be set in IE even though Firefox is the default browser and the hyperlink opens in Firefox. So we would like to automate the digest authentication for IE to shut windows up!

firefox has separate proxy settings. if you use system settings as the choice in firefox, this behavior is expect able.

instead of using hostname or IP, did you try having the proxy on your domain dns and referencing it via FQDN? that would also need you to have your domain name in the local intranet zone as microsoft decided to not include it. firefox also has it own trusted zone setting, which does not by default contain your own domain.

download KiXnet

#208149 - 2013-12-09 07:55 PM Re: Is there a UDF that scripts digest username and password for IE? [Re: Lonkero]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Hi Lonk,

No I specifically set the proxy server for Firefox. Its not using the system settings choice in Firefox.

I am not sure how having the FQDN instead of just the host name would affect things. the proxy server is set to that the clients look up the host name of the server, and the dns server points to the proxy server which has the same domain name as the windows network. However I just used the host name in Firefox not the entire FQDN which should not be necessary as its in the Dns server.

I could try putting the domain name in the local intranet zone and see if this makes any difference. However as all my clients are on windows 7, I will just upgrade IE to version 11 and this will fix the issue. But I could try your settings out if I get the ISP services for one client who are still using windows xp (shudder)!

Thanks for the feedback.

#208150 - 2013-12-09 11:10 PM Re: Is there a UDF that scripts digest username and password for IE? [Re: Robdutoit]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
my transparent authentication issue was solved by having fqdn in domain dns, having the correct local intranet settings (also in firefox) and referencing my box with the FQDN.

so, I am just saying what I had to do, without explaining the technical details of it, which I already forgot, obviously.

download KiXnet

#208189 - 2013-12-21 07:35 PM Re: Is there a UDF that scripts digest username and password for IE? [Re: Lonkero]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

I will do my best over the xmas period to see if I can get that to work. I tried using your suggestions and it did not work for me. I left it because updating every pc to IE11 fixed the issue for me anyway. But obviously future clients are not necessarily going to be on windows 7 and IE11. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 557 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.059 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org