Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#204033 - 2012-01-09 06:20 PM Outlook signature options per group
sparkie Offline
Getting the hang of it

Loc: UK
I've been doing some vbscript to add an Outlook signature which I intend to amend for Kix but I'd like to try and perform the following.

Is there a way to plant either one number or another depending upon group membership,

E.g.

If in group 1 $ObjSelection......mobile
If in group 2 $ObjSelection......telephone

Thanks

#204034 - 2012-01-09 06:29 PM Re: Outlook signature options per group [Re: sparkie]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Have you looked at the ready-made script in the vault for creating Outlook signatures?

The lines
 Code:
$sPhoneNumber	= ADSIUserInfo($UserDN, 'telephoneNumber')
$sFaxNumber	= ADSIUserInfo($UserDN, 'FacsimileTelephoneNumber')
$sCellNumber	= ADSIUserInfo($UserDN, 'Mobile')
could be replaced with
 Code:
If InGroup('groupname')
  $sPhoneNumber	= ADSIUserInfo($UserDN, 'telephoneNumber')
Else
  $sPhoneNumber	= ADSIUserInfo($UserDN, 'Mobile')
EndIf
$sFaxNumber	= ADSIUserInfo($UserDN, 'FacsimileTelephoneNumber')
which would display one or the other. Similarly, you could blank the $sPhoneNumber or $sCellNumber depending on which one you did not want to display. The default (as written) logic displays only the numbers that are defined in AD. A line in the template "Cell: &CellPhone&" would display the word "Cell:" only if the variable contained data. No cell number in AD, no Cell: line in the sig. Note that this example changes the variable definition sequence so the main and cell numbers are in the If logic, moving the fax number to after the If logic.

Also, the script in the vault has no dependency on MS-Office/MS-Word. It will work with any Outlook version and any mail server.

Glenn

#204041 - 2012-01-10 10:12 AM Re: Outlook signature options per group [Re: Glenn Barnas]
sparkie Offline
Getting the hang of it

I haven't but thanks for that. At the moment we use Kix with a mixture of commands in our script, but also have calls to VBscripts/Reg files.

Whereas that was fine when it was relatively small, I'm thinking it's starting to make sense to call directly using Kix commands which I hope will speed up the script process.

The Sig adding is really an interim measure while we evaluate our Exchange/Signature system so might be a shorterm fix.

Thanks,

Mark

#204044 - 2012-01-10 02:55 PM Re: Outlook signature options per group [Re: sparkie]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
FYI - we have a commercial version available for very low cost ($100 US) - it adds a management interface for the administrator. The script terminates Outlook if running and forces the appropriate signatures for new and reply messages. PM me for details.

The upgraded version is based on the publishd code and was developed in response to several large financial, legal, and travel clents that needed to present a consistent email signature - no political, religious, or sports messages that could offend the clients. (Imagine "Go Manchester!!" being reveived by a client that's a die-hard Dallas Cowboys fan! ;\) ) One of the options is to delete and recreate all sigs on login to insure compliance with policy.

Sigs support HTM and TXT formats and have no software dependency other than Outlook. There are several HTM and a single text template included in the package, and we can develop a custom template if required. Templates are simple HTML and easy to modify.

One cool feature that was used by the travel company was the ability to reference a server-based image in the signature. Each of their 430 departments/retail centers then had an individual image "tile" (always the same size) that represented the current week's featured destination or travel bargain. The art dept simply replaced the appropriate tiles and the sig image instantly changed for all users associated with those tiles with no end-user actions.

Glenn

#204045 - 2012-01-10 03:21 PM Re: Outlook signature options per group [Re: Glenn Barnas]
sparkie Offline
Getting the hang of it

I've had a look at the Vault and reading the installation notes couldn't really find any immedite benefit in the short term over what we've done already, although I'm sure yours is of use

I've ended up adding some more code to the VB Script because it seemed less work that getting the current code to work with Kix, and with time being an essence. \:\)

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org