Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#162603 - 2006-05-30 11:33 AM disabling show web content
colin1964 Offline
Lurker

I am currently running a kix script that deploys a legal notice, a corporate wallpaper and screensaver. The problem I am having is that the wallpaper is deployed but is hidden behind that set by the user if they have show web content active. If I disable this at the local machine the wallpaper is set. I have looked through the vast information on this site and come across this bit of script

$ = AddKey("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer")

$ = WriteValue ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\", "NoSetActiveDesktop","1", "REG_SZ")

$ = WriteValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\", "NoFolderOptions","1", "REG_SZ")

$ = WriteValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\", "NoActiveDesktop","1", "REG_SZ")/font>

I added this to my Kix but would appear not to work. Have run gpupdate on test machine and then checked registry. HKLM is not showing the new settings in polices. can anyone suggest were I am going wrong. My systems are a split between 2000 and XP. Many thanks inappreciation

#162604 - 2006-05-30 11:39 AM Re: disabling show web content
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
HKLM requires the user to have permission to write to that location. At least in Win2K and up (not sure about NT4) this is not set by default. A GPO can set active desktop to disabled so you will not have to change permission on the registry keys.

Oh... and welcome to the board.

Edited by Mart (2006-05-30 11:40 AM)

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#162605 - 2006-05-30 11:42 AM Re: disabling show web content
Björn Offline
Korg Regular

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden.
Hi and welcome! First off, when posting code, do a ([)code(]) this is my ([)/code(]) (without '(' and ')' ). Second, just using $ is not recommended, just go with something like.. urhm.. $wr =). Third, the part of the reg you're trying to alter is limited to administrators. Forth, what does /font> do at the last line?

Code:

$wr = AddKey("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer")
$wr = WriteValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\","NoSetActiveDesktop","1","REG_SZ")
$wr = WriteValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\","NoFolderOptions","1","REG_SZ")
$wr = WriteValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\","NoActiveDesktop","1","REG_SZ")

#162606 - 2006-05-30 11:53 AM Re: disabling show web content
colin1964 Offline
Lurker

Sorry about the formating advice on future posts taken on board. The /font was actually from another bit of the script I inadvently copied have removed this. Will change $ to your recommendation of $wr and test again. Can I change reg settings through a Kix script or is this a bad idea
#162607 - 2006-05-30 12:21 PM Re: disabling show web content
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

You could change registry permissions by using an external utility that is called by kix but using the GPO option is the way to go imho. There are lots of utilities to do this.

#162608 - 2006-05-30 12:27 PM Re: disabling show web content
colin1964 Offline
Lurker

Have now run script on test machine having changed permissions, entries are being changed so thanks bjorn. Mart I will look at utilitiies and GPO to try and change the permissions all your help greatly appreciated.
#162609 - 2006-05-30 12:42 PM Re: disabling show web content
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

GPO will not change the permissions but will do the settings for you because it runs on elevated permissions when comparing it to the permissions the user has.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.13 seconds in which 0.063 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org